Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by nyandw

C-LINER 2001 wrote:Emfinite, I don't know the story on the missing plow, and thank you for your nice compliment, I'm enjoy the postings.
Good stuff. C-Liner I took the liberty to work your nice photo and did it B&W...
  by emfinite

This one was taken on October 6, 2009 at 10:45 PM on LIRR Roustabout 7. We are headed east here at Amtrak's CP216 on the NYS line at a stop-signal. Metro-North M7as are in tow, which will be handed off to a Metro-North crew and 8 more cars will be brought back that night to Bombardier's Arch Street shop for warranty work.

It's fun to run these cars from an engine because we (LIRR) can do faster than 15mph, as they're equipped with service brake capability. When LIRR crews haul their own M7s with an engine, the service brake needs to be cut out on the M7s since their control valves are not set up to be run with a locomotive. This leaves the train to be stopped only with the independent brake on the engine or emergency brake initiated from the engine which results in a train line emergency application of the brakes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Noel Weaver

Some nice stuff here. Equally nice are the photos of ROW or stations without any trains present, they provide an atmosphere. One word of caution or maybe I should say consideration and that is to PLEASE avoid using a flash in the face of an oncoming train. The flash will distract the engineer and can result in something worse, I know, in my freight days out of Selkirk to Buffalo and return we had a guy in the Rochester area who took flash pictures of us many nights, I got so fed up with it that I finally called for the Conrail Police to head down and get rid of that guy, we had a bunch of photographers around Rochester and all of them were decent folks except for this one guy. I think the police finally put a stop to it by nailing the guy for trespassing, he would usually be right next to the tracks. I am sure the engineers of the Long Island Rail Road will thank you for your cooperation in this matter.
Noel Weaver
  by Doc Emmet Brown

I knew a few Engineers that put the sanders on as we blew by people too close to the tracks. Also knew one who threw a styrofoam cup filled with..uhhhh an unkown yellow liquid at them..
  by nyandw

Doc Emmet Brown wrote:I knew a few Engineers that put the sanders on as we blew by people too close to the tracks. Also knew one who threw a styrofoam cup filled with..uhhhh an unkown yellow liquid at them..
Galliano liqueur? :wink:
  by nyandw

I put this together folks: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/night/night.htm LIRR at Night

Some of this material is from your posts. Please let me know the date, view direction, additional photo info, the credit line AND if OK with you I post it. Here's an example: Image
Mike McDermet took this just at sunset back in 2008. Islip view east
  by Fla East Coast Chris

That is Farmingdale station .. AKA Farm 1 interlocking
  by nyandw

Fla East Coast Chris wrote:That is Farmingdale station .. AKA Farm 1 interlocking
Thanks, Chris! Would that be Signal #307 on the westbound then?

Folks, Once again here's the issue: This photo is an example of historical savings for the future as now the PRR signal position lights are almost gone. No date, direction, location, photo credit, etc.

Let me ask why you folks don't do this as rail fans? Do you save your material or just photo it? It is as historically significant as was Weber, Votava, Huneke, Regen, Keller, etc. material in the past. The photo filename: CRW_0404.jpg is of no value to any of us. You take the time to take these wonderful photos, yet no info? :(
  by C-LINER 2001

img011.jpg
Steve,
I do like the B & W effect, this new photo I took in Sayville in Dec, 1979, having some fun with night shots,
Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by nyandw

C-LINER 2001 wrote:
img011.jpg
Steve,
I do like the B & W effect, this new photo I took in Sayville in Dec, 1979, having some fun with night shots,
Bob
Image B&W :-)

Which do you all like? Bob, as indicated in my previous post: Name the file with your name (as it will be grabbed all over the net without your credit**), what view direction, what did you photo? :-)

** Note: Folks get pissed off about this after the fact, but post a photo as: XER$100.jpg. Help me understand this....
  by alcoAL

emfinite, 226 seemed to have its front plow removed from time to time. I've seen photos of it new with the plow, then in the later blue & yellow without it. Then again later in the wave scheme with & without it. I've never seen any of the other L2s without the plows.
  by jhdeasy

emfinite wrote:This one was taken on October 6, 2009 at 10:45 PM on LIRR Roustabout 7. We are headed east here at Amtrak's CP216 on the NYS line at a stop-signal.
Am I correct that this location is on Amtrak's northeast corridor (former New Haven) at the CT/NY state line, a short distance west of SHELL interlocking?

I'm surprised that is not an Amtrak locomotive and crew making that switching move. Does LIRR have trackage rights over Amtrak's Hell Gate Bridge line between HAROLD and SHELL, to facilitate movement of equipment between MTA Metro North and MTA LIRR?
  by dedm30junk

You pick up an Amtrak crew at Harold tower for the trip and the LIRR engineer ask the Amtrak engineer if he wants to operate the train.IT goes either way once they agree who gonna operate they proceed north on the Amtrak territory.Thats how I saw it when I was the Conductor on the run when they ran it.