Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Andrew Saucci

I don't understand what would be so difficult about converting a dual-mode locomotive into a single-mode; wouldn't it just mean removing or disabling the switch that goes from one mode to the other and possibly removing the equipment associated with the disabled mode? Someone has to ask the dumb questions.
  by Crabman1130

I would think that it would depend on what was damaged. If the generator was damaged it would need to be repaired or replaced. Then if other electrical components were also damaged they would also need to be replaced. It's not like all there is is a SPDT switch.
  by li7039

Saw 423 yesterday in Morris Park. It was coupled to 407 and had the cab facing west (would be on head end of NYP bound train). Has the thing ever been tested or anything? The road numbers looked pretty funny as it had a silver 423 on the side of the car body with something covering up the number board above the cab and 507 still printed on the nose. If anyones taking a ride to atlantic terminal over the next few days you'll be able to see it no problem from the train. Could easily catch it on video or snap a quick pic as well.
  by LINYARailfan

Engine 423 is on the road. It led LIRR Train 570 to Oyster Bay tonight. Saw it in Mineola.
  by lirr42

Sweet, does anyone have a photo of the renumbered engine? I was shooting to take a train past Morris Park sometime next week when I have a free time, but I guess the engine beat me too it!
  by lirr42

YouTube user avasic1995 caught the 423 last Friday on 2772. The engine rolls through around 6 minutes into the video: http://youtu.be/KkNA1NLRqGQ?t=6m5s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has anybody else got any photos of it?
  by w2ymm

This is from when it was in the shop a few weeks ago, I was trying to show both numbers on the cab.
  by Teutobergerwald

The 420 crapped-out somewhere east of Northport this afternoon. Saw it being towed westbound by a rather clean 167 (recently paint-shopped???) around 2:30 past the siding east of the station.
  by Shavano

The 167 had been sitting in the roundhouse getting the new speed control installed for a good year to year and a half, and was in fresh paint inside for the majority of that time.
  by lirr42

You know what they say about the cleanest trains...they get nice and clean because they're always out of service for maintenance. The dirty looking engines tend to be the best behaved because they're always out on the road and don't have time to sit around the yard and get clean.
  by Uncle Cheapo

1.5 years to install ASC??? Pathetic LIRR, just pathetic!!