• Utica Branch Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by charlie6017

Posted on behalf of member "brockwaythemusician" who PM'ed me this afternoon.
News on the NYSW line in Norwich from WKTV news

http://www.wktv.com/news/local/North-No ... 39181.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Subject: Utica Branch Discussion Thread
I have re-opened this thread for discussion with the caveat that other members don't repeatedly ask when
work is scheduled to resume.

Thanks for your patience everyone! :-)

Charlie
  by fredrick

I just read the what charlie post it. what was these 2 guys thinking? they think they away with it. how stupid.
  by johnpbarlow

fredrick wrote:I just read the what charlie post it. what was these 2 guys thinking? they think they away with it. how stupid.
And why isn't the scrap metal reseller who bought the stolen rail also charged? Shouldn't it have been obvious to the reseller that the scrap rail being sold by individuals is likely to have been purloined? It's a mystery to me why resellers who enable the sale of stolen scrap metal (eg, copper wire and cladding) by those likely not in construction industry don't get held responsible.
  by charlie6017

johnpbarlow wrote:
fredrick wrote:I just read the what charlie post it. what was these 2 guys thinking? they think they away with it. how stupid.
And why isn't the scrap metal reseller who bought the stolen rail also charged? Shouldn't it have been obvious to the reseller that the scrap rail being sold by individuals is likely to have been purloined? It's a mystery to me why resellers who enable the sale of stolen scrap metal (eg, copper wire and cladding) by those likely not in construction industry don't get held responsible.
Unless I'm mistaken, scrap dealers today have to verify that railroad materials brought in for scrap are
from a source that legally are allowed to bring in said materials (I.E. railroad employees or authorized by
the railroad). Otherwise the scrapper is to notify the authorities, which may actually have happened in this
case.

Maybe someone here knows and can elaborate.......or maybe not.

Just my .02 of a dollar,

Charlie
  by lackman

Good to see the conversations flowing again.
Wife and I were born in Utica, NY and lived there through college.
Living in SW Ohio makes it difficult to keep in touch with the Lackawanna / Erie Lackawanna / Conrail / NYSW branch between Utica and Binghamton. Have walked the route in my youth and actually rode the NYSW excursion with the NYSW domes one year between Utica and Chenago Forks. Fondest rail trip I ever took because of my interest in the route. Once my parents died, never really had a compelling reason to make the 650 mile trip back to Utica to visit.

Please keep up the relevant posts. They are very much appreciated.!!!!!!
  by U.V.#200 GE70 Tonner

Sue the bastards for the amount to have it all replaced,new rail,plates,spikes.joint bars,and bolts.Hell throw a load or two of ballast in there also,then take a full page ad out in Evening Sun and publish their pictures with the article about the crime they committed.Of course this is after they are found guilty!
  by NYS&W142Fan

I cannot say for NY laws but here in NJ if a person or persons caught stealing RR track, tie plates etc. will be charged the full price of replacing said materials. The Scrap dealer will also be charged if they knowingly accepted said material as well. In a case where they steal tie plates, spikes and rail, they will have to pay to replace the rail, tie plates, spikes and the TIES, this is because they compromised the ties by pulling out the spikes plus all labor required for installation.
Sadly those who are stealing this material usually cannot afford to pay to replace what was taken.
  by lackman

Is there any business past this intersection these days?

I remember cars being positioned at the beverage place before the intersection, but very, very infrequently have I seen cars farther down the Mills branch, and that was 10-15 years ago.

Thanks.
  by Alek9997

lackman wrote:Is there any business past this intersection these days?
Last I knew, SCI Plywood was still getting rail service up there.

Alek
  by brockwaythemusician

There are often covered hoppers at the factory down there too.
  by fredrick

YESTERDAY I was on route 12 just south of Norwich near walmart I see flooding in the field near the railroad track. I could not tell if flood water reach the railroad track.or not.
  by RSD15

lackman wrote:Good to see the conversations flowing again.
Wife and I were born in Utica, NY and lived there through college.
Living in SW Ohio makes it difficult to keep in touch with the Lackawanna / Erie Lackawanna / Conrail / NYSW branch between Utica and Binghamton. Have walked the route in my youth and actually rode the NYSW excursion with the NYSW domes one year between Utica and Chenago Forks. Fondest rail trip I ever took because of my interest in the route. Once my parents died, never really had a compelling reason to make the 650 mile trip back to Utica to visit.

Please keep up the relevant posts. They are very much appreciated.!!!!!!
This is the July 5 1982 trip leaving Utica.
Charles
  by lackman

Great picture, great memories. I remember there were a lot of families on the trip. What I found interesting is that many of the older parents FELL ASLEEP before the train got past Schyler street and slept most of the way south.!!!!
I still have the promotional materials in my collection at home from this trip.

I enjoyed seeing some of the old out of service sidings going nowhere wondering what was located there many years ago. Also, the tracks south of route 12 went through some beautiful country which I never saw from the highway.

By the way, thats me in the second dome, third seat !!!!!!!

Hope everyone has a safe, and happy holiday season.
Lackman
  by ut-1

Having just stopped by Pulaski Meat Market in West Utica this afternoon for holiday goodies, I happened upon the NYS&W 3040 which is shown here making its move off Schulyer Street onto the West End Brewery's (maker of Utica Club & Saranac) siding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm2Gua7qxnM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;