Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by febus

Hello,
I have recently caught interest of canadian RRs. Iread a lot
about those big cutbacks.Would someone be nice enough to let
me know which routes have been discontinued at this time.
Other questions;
-how come a big city like Calgary has no passenger service to
Vancouver, Edmonton or the east?
-I saw on a Montreal map a second railroad station close to
gare centrale.Is it still in use?
-are there any railroad left in New foundland?
Thanks to let me know.
Antoine :-D
  by mtamas

Hello,

discontinued VIA trains in 1990:
-The "real" Canadian: Montreal/Toronto-Thunder Bay-Winnipeg-Calgary-Vancouver (between Ottawa-Sudbury and White River-Vancouver).
-Halifax-Sydney (RDC)
-Halifax-Port Hawkesbury (RDC)
-Halifax-Yarmouth (RDC)
-Moncton-Edmuntson (RDC)
-Moncton-Campbellton (RDC)
-Halifax-St. John (RDC)
-Quebec-Mont Joli (St.Laurent RDC)
-Montreal-Trois Riviéres (RDC)
-Montreal-Sherbrooke (RDC)
-Montreal-Toronto (The Cavalier, night train)
-Toronto-Havelock (RDC)
-some Toronto-London/Sarnia/Windsor/Niagara Falls/Kingston/North Bay services
-the daily Super Continental (Winnipeg-Edmonton-Vancouver) was replaced by the new tri-weekly Canadian (Toronto-Vancouver).

by viafan

1) Why does Calgary not have service? To the east or west, the major cuts removed the southern transcontinental route through Calgary. The city is an end point for privately-owned, tourist-oriented Rocky Mountaineer from Vancouver and they adamently oppose plans to restore VIA service between these two cities. Edmonton - Calgary is the subject of studies to establish a new corridor service.

2) Montreal's second station (once CPR's Windsor Station) is now Lucien L'Allier Station and used for commuter service only. A major hockey arena was built on the tracks at Windsor so commuter trains do not go right up to what was Windsor Station, stopping on the other side of the Bell Centre.

3) There is no longer any rail service on the island part of Newfoundland or the island of Prince Edward Island.

Harold Nicholson
  by B&M Minuteman

febus wrote:-are there any railroad left in New foundland?
Thanks to let me know.
Antoine :-D
Newfoundland might not have any railways left but they have certainly preserved their railway heritage.

Here’s a link to a trip I took there last summer (In the Rail Travel & Trip Reports Forum)

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5233