• MBTA's MPI HSP-46 Locomotives

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by ck4049

Btw last night I had a lot of spare time so...I drew up what an F40PH-2C would look like in the new HSP46 scheme.
  by deathtopumpkins

ck4049 wrote:Btw last night I had a lot of spare time so...I drew up what an F40PH-2C would look like in the new HSP46 scheme.
That looks beautiful! Wonder if the T might consider a repaint if they end up hanging on to any of the F40's for a while...
Last edited by deathtopumpkins on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by AEM7AC920

The F40 rebuilds aren't going anywhere for quite some time, they will see another rebuild program first.
  by daylight4449

diburning wrote:According to the CSX trace... it was delivered to the NECR at Palmer around 5AM this morning? ???
Alright... I said this on the MBTA fan page over on facebook, but why not bring it straight to Worcester? These roundabout routings are rubbing me as highly inefficient...
  by ACeInTheHole

daylight4449 wrote:
diburning wrote:According to the CSX trace... it was delivered to the NECR at Palmer around 5AM this morning? ???
Alright... I said this on the MBTA fan page over on facebook, but why not bring it straight to Worcester? These roundabout routings are rubbing me as highly inefficient...
Its positively hypermiling compared to accidentally sending 1123 to chicago.
  by KB1KVD

The only reason I can think of as to why NECR has the unit is because the P&W might get line haul payments. If NECR brings it down to the P&W iron and then the P&W brings it over to their shop via the Willimantic branch. This could be especially true if this was part of the contract with the P&W doing all the prep work on the units.
  by daylight4449

KB1KVD wrote:The only reason I can think of as to why NECR has the unit is because the P&W might get line haul payments. If NECR brings it down to the P&W iron and then the P&W brings it over to their shop via the Willimantic branch. This could be especially true if this was part of the contract with the P&W doing all the prep work on the units.
Alright, so the P&W stands to make money off the movement.. But why couldn't they just charge a switching fee to move it into their shops? They're already poised to make money off of these prep-work contracts, so a move down the Willimantic branch would (to me) seem like a method to squeeze more money out of the MBTA for the prep work... I wonder, but is the contract public domain, and if so, is there a notation on the routing to the P&W shops? You know, how it will get there (i.e primary routing, and secondary routing should the need arise), how much it will cost to get it moved by the railroads between Boise and Worcester, what is the timeline for movement, how is it handled, etc? Seriously, I'd love to see that contract, because I get the feeling that those routing specifics aren't there...
  by MBTA1016

I'd like to see the contract as well but we already know what railroads it went on. UP to CSX to NECR to PW for prep work.
Chris I love the drawing you should send it to the MBTA as a suggestion for new paint on the F40's.
  by KB1KVD

One possible reason for the funny routing could be that CSX's line haul fees could be higher than the P&W and the MBTA officials decided that it would be cheaper the route it that way than to have CSX take it all the way to Worcester and drop it on P&W iron.
  by MBTA1016

KB1KVD wrote:One possible reason for the funny routing could be that CSX's line haul fees could be higher than the P&W and the MBTA officials decided that it would be cheaper the route it that way than to have CSX take it all the way to Worcester and drop it on P&W iron.
Now that's a logical reason.