Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by Ken V

VIA has announced an number of changes to the schedules its of trains in the Quebec City to Windsor corridor. For more details see Canada Newswire.
Last edited by Ken V on Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Ken V

The new timetables (effective May 1. 2005) are now available on VIA'a website at viarail.ca. It includes the recent schedule change to Ontario Northland's Northlander.

One thing noticably missing is a schedule for the Bras d'Or.

by marquisofmississauga

Ken V wrote:The new timetables (effective May 1. 2005) are now available on VIA'a website at viarail.ca. It includes the recent schedule change to Ontario Northland's Northlander.

One thing noticably missing is a schedule for the Bras d'Or.
Sadly, the Bras D'Or will not run next year either. I have information from a VIA manager that it may never run again - as a VIA train, that is - even if the line is saved indefinitely. Because it is a tourist train and does not provide basic coach class service, it must make a profit, something it did only in its first two years.

by Ken V

marquisofmississauga wrote:Sadly, the Bras D'Or will not run next year either. I have information from a VIA manager that it may never run again - as a VIA train, that is - even if the line is saved indefinitely. Because it is a tourist train and does not provide basic coach class service, it must make a profit, something it did only in its first two years.
David... That is indeed sad news especially in light of VIA's intention to add a second trip on Saturday during the peak season this year. I was holding out a small glimmer of hope that there would be some resolution to CB&CNS financial difficulties and VIA would announce that the Bras d'Or would run. While I have never ridden this train and had no plans to do so, the loss of any passenger train is hard to take.

I agree that, as a tourist train, the operation should be expected to make a profit, and I don't have a problem with a Crown Corporation making money in one area to subsidize other unprofitable areas.

Hopefully, if the line survives, some tourist operator will take up the cause. I wonder if Peter Armstrong (RMR) would be interested.