Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by gprimr1

I noticed something I had never seen before when I was at Jamaica two weeks ago.

As a train was departing, a second train was actually in the station. What I mean is that if you imagine the area that is accessible via platform, two trains where in that same area, probably about 3-5 yards apart. I've never seen them get that close.
  by Jersey_Mike

gprimr1 wrote:I noticed something I had never seen before when I was at Jamaica two weeks ago.

As a train was departing, a second train was actually in the station. What I mean is that if you imagine the area that is accessible via platform, two trains where in that same area, probably about 3-5 yards apart. I've never seen them get that close.
Nothing wrong with that. It's called efficiency.
  by lirr42

That is a fairly common practice on the LIRR. It is most frequently seen at Jamaica and Huntington (video), but can also be seen at other terminals all over the railroad.

Lots of times they'll bring two desiel sets (i.e. one from Oyster Bay and one from Speonk) in on track 1 at Jamaica and have both trains unload onto the platform for their connection. But during the rush hour it is also common to see trains tail one another in on other tracks...got to keep the railroad moving somehow!
  by ExCon90

SEPTA regularly does the same thing at Suburban Station and Market East. If the entering signal displays Restricting, a train is required by special instruction to stop before proceeding at restricted speed, and to proceed only when the engineer sees that the preceding train is moving away. Seems to work fine, and as others have noted above, it keeps things moving.
  by Amtrak7

I've seen this with MU trains, but never with a diesel as the follower.

And as luck would have it, the one and only time I transferred at Huntington it was one of the two daily up-and-overs.
  by peanut1

They do this in Babylon as well, they put the express train first and then the local train comes up behind it. They also do it at rush hour when you have one train terminating at Babylon on track three and then the train without passengers that's last stop is Wantagh comes up behind it.
  by gprimr1

I agree that is def efficient. I just had never seen it before.
  by lirr42

Amtrak7 wrote:I've seen this with MU trains, but never with a diesel as the follower.

And as luck would have it, the one and only time I transferred at Huntington it was one of the two daily up-and-overs.
Diesels trail electrics through Huntington...I've seen it done. Though the accelerations aren't all that fast on the diesels so they're not right on the MU's tail into the station.

Those up-and-overs stink. I've had to do it once or twice myself. They're a real fan favorite ;-)
  by RestrictOnTheHanger

It can happen anywhere on the RR.

Case in point there were delays last month at Northport during the AM rush. That area is single track so 2 trains (619 and 621, normally 30 minutes apart) were stopped yards apart on the main waiting for an eastbound (604) to take the siding east of the station. After the eastbound left, the 2 westbounds pulled in so they both fit perfectly on the platform and loaded at the single platform at the same time. Made for some confused passengers. They both left and the second train was delayed about 5 minutes due to following the first train at restricted speed. Plenty of seats though!
  by boblothrope

RestrictOnTheHanger wrote:Case in point there were delays last month at Northport during the AM rush. That area is single track so 2 trains (619 and 621, normally 30 minutes apart) were stopped yards apart on the main waiting for an eastbound (604) to take the siding east of the station. After the eastbound left, the 2 westbounds pulled in so they both fit perfectly on the platform and loaded at the single platform at the same time. Made for some confused passengers. They both left and the second train was delayed about 5 minutes due to following the first train at restricted speed. Plenty of seats though!
Why is the siding next to the station, instead of *in* the station with a second platform? That would save some time.

It looks like the ROW would accommodate a second track, and the pedestrian overpass anticipates one: http://goo.gl/maps/yKDej" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Is there a plan to double-track the Northport station?
  by Amtrak7

boblothrope wrote:Why is the siding next to the station, instead of *in* the station with a second platform? That would save some time.

It looks like the ROW would accommodate a second track, and the pedestrian overpass anticipates one: http://goo.gl/maps/yKDej" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Is there a plan to double-track the Northport station?
When the stations were high-leveled, they were built 12 cars long in expectation of electrification, which was scrapped in favor of KO. I don't know if that electrification plan also included double track, or it was an either-or like what happened with KO.

If the railroad wanted to double track to Port Jeff today, would additional property aquisition be needed?
  by RestrictOnTheHanger

No plans to double track the station as far as I know, although it would make things easier for passengers as well as any drivers that drive over the larkfield road crossing.

As far as the whole branch goes, I don't know about property issues but there are some bridges that wouldn't accommodate another track easily. Mainly the bridges over Bread and Cheese Hollow Rd, Jericho Turnpike, and Stony brook Rd