Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by RestrictOnTheHanger

Just passed Morris park about a half hour ago on a train from Brooklyn, and I spotted a DE numbered 423. I thought there were only 23 DEs numbered 400-422. I'm sure I wasn't seeing things , so can anyone shed lighton this? Couldn't get a picture, sorry
  by DutchRailnut

could it be 401-423 ??
  by Clear Of BH

DutchRailnut wrote:could it be 401-423 ??
No ^ 400-422 are the original DE30s. DM30AC 507 was rebuilt into a DE30AC (423) a few months ago. It suffered some kind of electrical cabinet failure or something in that nature. One of the head guys there tried to convert it a straight diesel from a Dual mode. 423 is real and here to stay. Funny enough, It still says 507 behind the horn on the cab roof.
  by RestrictOnTheHanger

Thanks Clear of BH. I wa about to say that I spotted 422 on the Port Jeff scoot at Park Ave crossing in Huntington a few minutes ago, and that only confirmed my suspicion
  by lirr42

Interesting, I guess that means there are only 21 DM's now, or 10 sets at absoloute most for DM service.
  by Amtrak7

Is this engine in revenue service, or did the attempted conversion not work as expected?
  by EM2000

The 507 suffered a capacitor explosion a few years ago and was mothballed for quite some time in Morris Park. It was returned to service a year or two ago but within a year it was back out of service. It had been sitting up in Richmond Hill for quite some time before they started the conversion. I am not sure if it's out on the road yet. I doubt it as last I saw it they were still testing it.
  by emfinite

The blue card still said 507 as the road number when I looked a few months ago. Not sure what type of process the RR has to go through to change it officially. It's still on 6 or 7 track in Morris Park.
  by Bright Star

Sounds like the TRC blew up-as that is where the capacitor bank is located. There was a mod way back for improved caps with integral pressure switches-dont know if that was completed for the fleet.
  by peanut1

any chance 503 becomes 424? Probably not as the railroad cannibalized it.
  by lirr42

peanut1 wrote:any chance 503 becomes 424? Probably not as the railroad cannibalized it.
I doubt it. 503 was in pretty sorry shape last time I saw it.
  by Doc Emmet Brown

507 became 423. Dont know if its on the road yet.
  by Clear Of BH

Doc Emmet Brown wrote:507 became 423. Dont know if its on the road yet.
It's still being "perfected"
  by Tadman

When The Rock re-engined their DL109's with 567's, the units were given some sort of nickname that alluded to a sex change. Anybody care to have a few yucks of this nature at the DE-to-DM conversion (or is it the other way around)...
  by Clear Of BH

Tadman wrote:When The Rock re-engined their DL109's with 567's, the units were given some sort of nickname that alluded to a sex change. Anybody care to have a few yucks of this nature at the DE-to-DM conversion (or is it the other way around)...
Other way around. lol.