• Trolley questions

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by walt

lefty wrote:
Tritransit Area wrote:Germantown is the brake shop for the SEPTA buses as well as a depot for the contractor operations for route 310 - Horsham Breeze, 312 - Cornwells Heights Parking Shuttle, and 316 - LUCY (Green & Gold). Until a few years (actually, I think more like 8 to 10 - my how the years blow by!) there were trolleys parked at Germantown in the back. One was in very bad shape and looked like an 8000 series "Peter Witt" car, and I think there was a PCC or 2 in there....perhaps for the Chestnut Hill Trolley Operation? I'm not sure if they are still there, but I don't think they are.
7 years ago there were a few older trollies that were vandalized and burned up. If I recall, one was a PCC double ender and one was an older wood car. I have pictures somewhere, but they predate my digital camera so I don't know where the hard copies ended up. I believe they belonged to the trolley line that used to run on Delaware Avenue.
If the Germantown location you're referring to is the one I'm thinking of, there were two former Red Arrow type St. Louis Cars, a Red Arrow Brilliner and PTC air-electric car No 2647, at that location, all of them stored outside, and all of them in very bad shape. No. 2647 was moved to the Baltimore Streetcar Museum in 2005 to be used for parts in that organization's restoration of an El Paso air-electric PCC which they also have ( and to contribute to other museums which may need the few parts able to be salvaged from 2647), and has now been scrapped. I believe that Red Arrow Car No 26, a former PRT/ PTC Hog Island Car, which would have looked something like a double ended version of the 8000's is the car which was burned.