• New Syracuse Terminal Subdivision

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by clearblock

It is difficult to scale the size of the antenna elements from the photo but I think it is a 4 bay 220 MHz antenna, not VHF. For 220 each dipole element would be about 2' vs 3' for VHF. 220MHz = PTC.

The monopole support structure is also typical of PTC installations. I suspect this could relate to the proposed high speed rail test in that area between Churchville and Byron. If so, I would expect a similar installation somewhere near Byron.

I have seen no changes in NF Dispatcher signal strength from the Batavia and Rochester base stations when communicating with trains in that area and there have been no recent FCC applications for any changes on VHF in this area.
  by nyswb40

According to a dispatcher I talked to (who works in the Albany office) and a C&S employee who a T&E employee had talked to, the base there is for a new AAR narrow band wayside radio base which the C&S guy said is in service. The dispatcher I talked to said the following changes will take effect this Saturday, May 18th at 0900:

-NG dispatcher will control the newly expanded Buffalo Terminal Sub from the EAS at CP-15 to the EAS CP-382 along with the Niagara, Belt, Lockport subs and Somerset RR
-NF dispatcher will control the shrunken Rochester Sub from EAS CP-382 to the WAS CP-296 along with the West Shore.

I guess they're implementing these changes one at a time and not all at once like I had previously posted last week. Eventually the NF will control CP-382 to CP-263 and ND will control the north country but that is TBD as of now
  by boteman

nyswb40 wrote:-NG dispatcher will control the newly expanded Buffalo Terminal Sub from the EAS at CP-15 to the EAS CP-382 along with the Niagara, Belt, Lockport subs and Somerset RR
-NF dispatcher will control the shrunken Rochester Sub from EAS CP-382 to the WAS CP-296 along with the West Shore.
If you have a moment, I would appreciate it if you could look over the section of my CSX Dispatcher table for inaccuracies in your area. I get a lot of hits from guys planning to go out railfanning in unfamiliar territory and they really appreciate me keeping this list accurate.

Thanks.
  by roadster

You b eat me to the punch line. Div. Bulletins 116 and 117 outlined the new Divisions. The new radio tower at Savage rd. is indeed a new base station to assist communications for both NF and NG Dsprs. If the do indeed make the ND take the Eastern portion of the Rochester Sub., I'd hate to work that desk.
  by lakeshoredave

holy cow the ng dispatcher is getting the real raw end of the deal in this with the added amount of territory.
  by RSD15

clearblock wrote:It is difficult to scale the size of the antenna elements from the photo but I think it is a 4 bay 220 MHz antenna, not VHF. For 220 each dipole element would be about 2' vs 3' for VHF. 220MHz = PTC.

The monopole support structure is also typical of PTC installations. I suspect this could relate to the proposed high speed rail test in that area between Churchville and Byron. If so, I would expect a similar installation somewhere near Byron.

I have seen no changes in NF Dispatcher signal strength from the Batavia and Rochester base stations when communicating with trains in that area and there have been no recent FCC applications for any changes on VHF in this area.
Here is a little clearer picture this one located at cp291 on the Syracuse Terminal Sub. These are folded dipoles you can see for two different bands. One pair appears to be VHF(161mhz) and the other 220 mhz. VHF about 3ft and 220 about 2ft.
  by sd80mac

clearblock wrote:It is difficult to scale the size of the antenna elements from the photo but I think it is a 4 bay 220 MHz antenna, not VHF. For 220 each dipole element would be about 2' vs 3' for VHF. 220MHz = PTC.

Third track project between Chruchville and batavia have been shelfed....
  by boteman

RSD15 wrote:
Here is a little clearer picture this one located at cp291 on the Syracuse Terminal Sub. These are folded dipoles you can see for two different bands. One pair appears to be VHF(161mhz) and the other 220 mhz. VHF about 3ft and 220 about 2ft.
Wow, I've never seen two different sets of dipoles on one mast like that before. Interesting. So they're getting a double-whammy with a high band antenna for the dispatcher base station and a 220MHz antenna for the Positive Train Control data radio. I can't help but wonder if there might be undesired interactions between those elements being directly opposite each other; normally a single-band 4-element array would have each element spaced apart vertically by 1/4 wavelength (or 1/2, I forget).

Thanks for the enlarged photo, that clears this up nicely.
  by clearblock

That photo clears up what it is. It looks like they made provisions for future PTC.

I have not heard this site active. Before my last post I heard NF call a train in that area first on Batavia and then switched over to
Rochester for better communications. I can tell which site I am hearing by signal strength and I have not seen any idications this new
site is active yet. It probably will be activated when the Bulletins take effect. I can see why the NG would need an additional base radio for their extended east end since it is marginal from the present Batavia base that they will inherit from the NF.

I checked the FCC database again and it shows no active or pending license for a base station at that site.

Roadster - Do the Bulletins show this site will have both channels 056 for NG and 086 for NF plus 046 Road?
  by clearblock

I think I am hearing the new Savage Rd base station in use now.

The NF has a situation with a train around 384 and he has been switching between the Batavia base and another that is stronger
here in Rochester but is not the Rochester base.

All activity has been on the Road channel so it is still a question which dispatcher channel(s) will be at this site. Any Dispatcher channel activity I am hearing in that area is on 86 from the Batavia base.
  by roadster

This site does indeed have capacity for NG 056, NF 086 and road 046. It is now active as the Churchville Base, QC 384.5.
Batavia, and Wende are now only active on 056 for the NG, and road 046.