• New Syracuse Terminal Subdivision

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by roadster

Here's some news for local fans. CSX has re-aligned old subs Div's, and created a new Subdivision. The new Syracuse Terminal Sub. begins at CP 263 and runs to the East side of CP 296. The Mohawk Sub., now runs from CP 175 to the East side of CP 263. Now the tricky part. The ND Dsp. will now be responsible for the Syracuse Term. sub, and all former NE DSP territories. (St.Lawrence, Fulton, B'ville, Montreal Sub., along with the Fairgrounds sub. which has always been the ND's. The NE Dsp. desk is being abolished. The Dsp. channel will be the same as the old NE dsprs channel. The road channel will remain the same. Also, the NC dsp. will now control the Mohawk sub.which as stated above now ends at CP 263. The NC's Dsp channel on the Mohawk will be the same as the old ND Dsp. channel. Before someone reads too much into this. The stated reasoning is to consolidate and reduce overhead. In short CSX's current philasophy of doing more with less. This takes effect Monday at 9:30 am. Set your clocks and adjust your scanners.
  by tree68

Heard there were changes coming. Thanks for laying them out.
  by boteman

So, if I'm reading this correctly:

NC desk:
Carman
Hudson
Mohawk
Shodack
Selkirk

ND desk:
Baldwinsville
Fairgrounds
Fulton
Les Expos sub
St. Lawrence
Syracuse Terminal

All radio channels stay the same, only the dispatchers move one desk to the right (with one notable exception).

Did I get it right? If so, I'll update my dispatcher table with this information.

Thanks!
  by roadster

Appears to be correct. Exception for the radio freq. for Syracuse Term. ND Dsp will be the same as the fromer NE dsp used. On our radios the ND was 52 and NE was 36. ND will be 36 for all of it's territories. I do not know the actual freq.. Road channels will remain the same.
  by tree68

Hmmm.

I always got the Mohawk sub on 160.800 (the old CR freq), which is AAR 46. Never listened there for the DS channel.

StL sub road is/was on 161.07 (AAR 64).

NE DS was 160.65 (AAR 36) on the StL sub, as noted.
  by roadster

Thanks tree68, Yes, effective at )9:30 tomorrow, the ND Dsp channel will be 160.65. The standard road channel you hear the trains calling signals and etc. will remain as they are now for all areas.
  by tree68

So how's the transition going?
  by roadster

Well, I'll blame some of it on the extremely cold weather, but the last 2 days have seen record amounts of outlaws and recrews. Even Q090 had to be recrewed at Dewitt yesterday. Today, K686 and Q264 outlawed side by side at CP169. There's only 2 tracks here. Can we see a problem? It appeared that the NC and ND Dsps were a bit over whelmed with the additional territories, aggravated by switch failures, broken rail, trackcar "Cold" patrols", and the occasional computer system dump. I am wondering when CSX is going to push the limits of human capacity beyond it's breaking point? Of course, then they'll just blame the employee for the failure. Some older pre-CSX employees, say this reminds them of switch day, back in '99.
  by Noel Weaver

Maybe it is time for all of the top decision makers in Jacksonville to take a trip to UPSTATE NEW YORK and spend the months of February and March there. Maybe then they would have an appreciation and knowledge of mother nature in the north in winter, they don't seem to have this important knowledge now.
Noel Weaver
  by pumpers

Sounds like they picked the worst possible day of the year to make the switch to the new arrangment. You think someone would have thought "Hey, things could be bad with record cold, maybe we ought to put this thing off for a few weeks..." Probably need to add January to Noel's list of months for the Jacksonville crowd to enjoy NY upstate. JS
  by roadster

The top mangmnt in J'ville have adopted the mannerism of, "I don't care, just make it work or we'll find someone who can.". These words to spoken to Divisional mgt by a top CSX official regarding another project being attempted in another major NYS yard. This is their attitude towards most projects.
  by boteman

roadster wrote:The top mangmnt in J'ville have adopted the mannerism of, "I don't care, just make it work or we'll find someone who can.". These words to spoken to Divisional mgt by a top CSX official regarding another project being attempted in another major NYS yard. This is their attitude towards most projects.
I think you'll find this attitude prevalent among most of the Harvard & Yale weenies who won their degrees and think they know everything about running a business--ANY business. And of course the failures accrue to the Joe doing the work, never to the weeny who made the all-important decision in the first place.
  by RailBus63

I doubt you'll find many Harvard and Yale types working in a backwater place like Jacksonville.
  by gracebeliever077

backwater place like Jacksonville.

Seriously??