• Baggage cars at Holban Yard?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Frank

I've passed by the Holban Yard for years and there is some old Baggage cars that are sitting there in rough shape. How long have those cars been there and when were they built?
  by emfinite

Those are the ex-Boston & Maine American Flyer cars, not baggage cars. There's 3 in Dunkirk yard and another one in Riverhead. The only B60 baggage car left is in the boneyard in Morris Park.
  by Shavano

As Emfinite says, these are the remnants of the small fleet of former B&M coaches that the LI had. The W85 in LD is one of these, as was the W86.
  by CarterB

What part of the yard are these cars located?
  by 452 Card

They are in Dunkirk Yard, which is south (east) of Lower Holban on the Montauk Branch. The lead extends from the east end of Holban, parallel to Montauk #1 and decends into Dunkirk. The yard is used exclusively for MW operations, and is so named as its entrance for vehichular traffic is on Dunkirk Avenue.
The cars are shot. I believe they were once part of the MW in-house welded rail train which was replaced by outsourcing. If that is not correct, I know for a fact they are used for storage of I-don't-know-what in the yard. They are graffitied and rusting badly.
We called them "Blimp Cars" because of their upper roofline. As a young engineer, I remember deadheading in them back to Jamaica. The windows were so tall that when you sat in a window seat, there was concern that a stone might take you out enroute.
  by Doc Emmet Brown

That second picture is Ronkonkoma, not morris park.
  by peanut1

Are these the same cars west of St Albans that are all painted over in yellow or different ones?
  by LIengineerBob

Steve, your second photo shows an ex-Prr B60 baggage car, not one of the ex-BM or BAR Osgood Bradley P74 class cars.

At one time, nearly all of those Osgood Bradley cars the LIRR acquired were used in some type of MoW service or as storage cars. There was a time where nearly every yard had one for some type of storage or as a locker room/office.
  by nyandw

LIengineerBob wrote:Steve, your second photo shows an ex-Prr B60 baggage car, not one of the ex-BM or BAR Osgood Bradley P74 class cars. At one time, nearly all of those Osgood Bradley cars the LIRR acquired were used in some type of MoW service or as storage cars. There was a time where nearly every yard had one for some type of storage or as a locker room/office.
Oops... thanks: The P74 car was referred to as: Crew cars by the photographer.

The other ex-PRR B60 baggage car the LIRR did have Image steam generator cars W94 of this type. (ex-PRR B60)
  by Tadman

Hey isn't that another one of those cars they keep at GCT for FDR to ride around in? The ones with the extra-strong trucks that you can drive a Packard straight into through the sliding door?

(just funnin' with you guys, don't jump all over me)