• What is this fare announcement from NJT?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by davidfurg

This was just released by NJT:

Attention Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast Line and Raritan Valley

"Any pass presented with a Hoboken destination from a station along the Northeast, North Jersey Coast Line and Raritan Valley Line will be valid through the fare gates at Secaucus Junction for continuing travel to Hoboken at no extra charge until further notice."

I thought this was true already. If you had a ticket from say New Brunswick to Hoboken you could get through the turnstiles at Seacaucus. That wasn't true? You would have had to transfer at Newark-Penn to one of the few trains going to Hoboken?

If true than this is much better.

David Furgang
  by sixty-six

davidfurg wrote:This was just released by NJT:

Attention Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast Line and Raritan Valley

"Any pass presented with a Hoboken destination from a station along the Northeast, North Jersey Coast Line and Raritan Valley Line will be valid through the fare gates at Secaucus Junction for continuing travel to Hoboken at no extra charge until further notice."

I thought this was true already. If you had a ticket from say New Brunswick to Hoboken you could get through the turnstiles at Seacaucus. That wasn't true? You would have had to transfer at Newark-Penn to one of the few trains going to Hoboken?

If true than this is much better.

David Furgang
There are options to change from the NEC, NJCL, and RVL to Hoboken via SEC or via Newark Penn, with Newark Penn being cheaper. With the reduction of Hoboken-bound trains post-Sandy, this was done to ease travel difficulties.
  by NJT4115

From Newark, you can change to a morning NJCL train to Hoboken. At one time I believe that the once had Trenton-Newark-Hoboken and Raritan-Newark-Hoboken runs but I guess they were cancelled because of Secaucus.
  by michaelk

NJT4115 wrote:From Newark, you can change to a morning NJCL train to Hoboken. At one time I believe that the once had Trenton-Newark-Hoboken and Raritan-Newark-Hoboken runs but I guess they were cancelled because of Secaucus.
there were in fact Raritan-Newark-Hoboken runs. At least there were on the weekends and i regularly took one on Saturday mornings from Raritan to my brother's in Hoboken- I believe they were cancelled for lack of ridership sadly. Before we left Newark the conductor would typically stop to ask me "are you sure you didn't want to change here?" since there would usually only be a handful of folks to make the last leg.
  by Hawaiitiki

michaelk wrote:
NJT4115 wrote:From Newark, you can change to a morning NJCL train to Hoboken. At one time I believe that the once had Trenton-Newark-Hoboken and Raritan-Newark-Hoboken runs but I guess they were cancelled because of Secaucus.
there were in fact Raritan-Newark-Hoboken runs. At least there were on the weekends and i regularly took one on Saturday mornings from Raritan to my brother's in Hoboken- I believe they were cancelled for lack of ridership sadly. Before we left Newark the conductor would typically stop to ask me "are you sure you didn't want to change here?" since there would usually only be a handful of folks to make the last leg.
The lack of ridership was for good reason. Snail like speeds between Newark Penn and Hoboken. Two of NJTs major stations and they're connected by a single track with ~10 trains a day. NJT needs to realize that new tunnels aren't coming for a longggg time. Since no new tunnels are going to opened this decade, the only increase in trains you're likely to see are ones that terminate in Hoboken, and not fast tracking a second waterfront connection track and no funded flyover at Hunter; more service on the RVL, NEC, and NJCL in the next 10 years is looking pretty bleak.
  by jamesinclair

Hawaiitiki wrote:
michaelk wrote:
The lack of ridership was for good reason. Snail like speeds between Newark Penn and Hoboken. Two of NJTs major stations and they're connected by a single track with ~10 trains a day. NJT needs to realize that new tunnels aren't coming for a longggg time. Since no new tunnels are going to opened this decade, the only increase in trains you're likely to see are ones that terminate in Hoboken, and not fast tracking a second waterfront connection track and no funded flyover at Hunter; more service on the RVL, NEC, and NJCL in the next 10 years is looking pretty bleak.
^More high speed ferries please.

New Brunswick-Wall Street ferry for example would take people off the train.
  by pumpers

jamesinclair wrote: New Brunswick-Wall Street ferry for example would take people off the train.
Interesting idea. Given marine regulations, and practical realities in the Raritan River, Arthur Kill, and the Kill van Kull, etc does anyone have a realistic idea how short this boat ride could really be? Or do you go out into the ocean and come back in the Verrazano Narrows? JS
  by jamesinclair

pumpers wrote:
jamesinclair wrote: New Brunswick-Wall Street ferry for example would take people off the train.
Interesting idea. Given marine regulations, and practical realities in the Raritan River, Arthur Kill, and the Kill van Kull, etc does anyone have a realistic idea how short this boat ride could really be? Or do you go out into the ocean and come back in the Verrazano Narrows? JS
I hear some town in Alaska is selling a powerful, almost new, ice-breaking ferry for pennies on the dollar.

If it can break ice, it can break whatever obstacles the Raritan can throw at it.