• FL9 Fantrip on the Bay Ridge in the '80s?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by BMT

I was at an ERA (Electric Railroaders Assoc.) meeting last night and one of the slides in the presentation was that of an FL9 fantrip on the Bay Ridge branch sometime in the mid-1980's! Is there anyone here that recalls this event (and more importantly was an attendee?!). Looked like there were four or five coaches involved in this trip.

The slide caught both rapid transit (subway train on the Canarise L) and mainline railroading all in one frame. The shot appeared to have been taken from the trackbed somewhere between Sutter and Livonia Avenues.

by newkirk

I was an attendee. Those photo stops were the best. The fan trip was great. :-D

by BMT

Wow! Bill, you got to do all the neat trips! I'm jealous! :wink:

I'm sure you took photos of this rare operation. Could you link a shot or two here? Also did you use a shot from this trip in any of your LIRR or NYC Subway calendars?

by newkirk

Yes, it was a great fantrip. There may have been a couple of fantrips down the Bay Ridge. One trip I bought a parlor car ticket and rode in one of those rooms in the parlor car. I'm not sure if it was the Phoebe Snow or the one the LIRR used for test clearance of the C-3's.

I fondly remember the photo stop by the Sea Beach line. We stood there for a while waiting for an (N) train for a meet. Just like the shot Eric showed at the ERA meeting.

by STR R-40

go to www.oldnyc.com for pictures
  by DSteckler

Site seems to be down.