• List of storage yards and capacity

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by ericr

Thinking about the Sandy situation and how there are a lot of people who were saying that NJT shouldn't have put everything in the MMC, I started to wonder about the location of storage yards and their capacity ("if not the MMC, where else would you put them"). Anyone have a list somewhere?

I have no idea about capacity or restrictions, but so far I got:
Morrisville
County
Long Branch
Bay Head
Dover
Port Morris
Great Notch
Raritan
Waldwick
Suffern
Woodbine
Hoboken (I think this is actually a couple different ones)
Sunnyside (part of it, at least)
  by 25Hz

I believe morrisville is the largest NJT yard by capacity, and sunnyside is an amtrak yard but it also stores the most NJT trains.

I know NJT wants to expand county yard, and possibly morrisville if NS can play ball.
  by Taborite

Not to steer this thread too far off topic, but I'd like to get a railroader critique of an idea I've heard batted around lately: in the event of a storm related system-wide shutdown, what would be the downside of turning the center track of a relatively tree-free stretch of elevated multi-track right of way (such as the M&E between Green and Highland Ave, putting aside the vandalism risk) into a vertical yard?
  by ThirdRail7

Taborite wrote:Not to steer this thread too far off topic, but I'd like to get a railroader critique of an idea I've heard batted around lately: in the event of a storm related system-wide shutdown, what would be the downside of turning the center track of a relatively tree-free stretch of elevated multi-track right of way (such as the M&E between Green and Highland Ave, putting aside the vandalism risk) into a vertical yard?

You can't really separate that part. It is a major issue. Additionally, if the something happens to the equipment, how do you rectify it? If something happens to the railroad around the "tree free" area, how do you rescue the equipment. If the ground saturates, the heavy equipment can cause the rail to spread. If it is in the middle of nowhere, how do you help it out? If the train loses its air and rolls away and lands in someones backyard, who's going to take the weight? How do you do the mandated inspections prior to movement?

This is just the beginning. I won't even get into the scenarios of the potential for component failures.

The bottom line is when the equipment is off the main line, the tracks are clear for inspections and repair. This makes it easier to restore the line. if the equipment is sitting in the middle of it and there's damage, it will take that much longer to get the line back on the beam as you have to grapple with equipment being in the way.

AS for yards, if you're counting Amtrak yards that NJT can use, I'd throw in East Barracks and Stiles. Both are risky as they have both been neutralized by flooding in the past. However, you could stick a fair amount of equipment in Stiles if Conrail gave you permission and WB could hold 4 or 5 sets.
Last edited by ThirdRail7 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by sullivan1985

Taborite wrote:Not to steer this thread too far off topic, but I'd like to get a railroader critique of an idea I've heard batted around lately: in the event of a storm related system-wide shutdown, what would be the downside of turning the center track of a relatively tree-free stretch of elevated multi-track right of way (such as the M&E between Green and Highland Ave, putting aside the vandalism risk) into a vertical yard?
M&E not so much. Main Line between WC and Ridgewood JCT? Much better. Plus waldwick yard can hold a lot of trains if someone is creative about placement.
  by NJT4115

sullivan1985 wrote:
Plus waldwick yard can hold a lot of trains if someone is creative about placement.
From Google Maps the track looks pretty poor though. Wasn't Waldwick also a fairly large layover line on the Main/BCL until the line was reduced to three tracks from Ridgewood north and two from Waldwick and one with passing sidings north of Sloatsburg.
  by 25Hz

Stiles street yard is being eyed by NJT for use for storm storage till the county yard expansion is completed.

Barracks yard may or may not be re-used. If they can wall it off from the creek it may be salvageable.
  by ThirdRail7

25Hz wrote:Stiles street yard is being eyed by NJT for use for storm storage till the county yard expansion is completed.

Barracks yard may or may not be re-used. If they can wall it off from the creek it may be salvageable.
I revised my post for clarity. East Barracks already has tracks. Njt used it prior to Morrisville yard. West Barravks has been closed for many many years.
  by 25Hz

On second look, it seems the city of trenton has plans for the barracks yard area. If it actually gets funded, no more yard.
  by NJT4115

Also, how much bigger is Morrisville Yard to MMC or are they the same or vice versa?
  by Jtgshu

NJT4115 wrote:Also, how much bigger is Morrisville Yard to MMC or are they the same or vice versa?
The MMC is the largest yard on the railroad - Morrisville is very large too, but the MMC is bigger, especially including all the spots in the shops. There are a lot of switches and tracks that aren't storage tracks per se, but could store a train on. If you get creative, you can get a LOT of trains the MMC

I believe Port Morris is close to the MMC land wise, but not all of it is developed, at least not yet. The MMC is over 1.5 miles long "tip to tail". Its not a small place
  by 25Hz

Morrisville could be expanded, unlike most of the other NJT yards. But NS would need to play ball as I said before. There's been whispers of them putting tracks back on the northern half of the yard. I guess we'll see what happens.
  by Jtgshu

Well yea, it COULD be expanded, and there are plans to do so and they want to, ive seen them. However, not owning the land is kind of an issue...........

Kinda like Id love to take over my neighbors yard and house and make my yard bigger....but small problem, they sort of own it and I don't!!!
  by kilroy

Jtgshu wrote:Well yea, it COULD be expanded, and there are plans to do so and they want to, ive seen them. However, not owning the land is kind of an issue...........

Kinda like Id love to take over my neighbors yard and house and make my yard bigger....but small problem, they sort of own it and I don't!!!
Don't worry JT. When you get elected President in four years you'll have a nice big house and yard (well for 8 years you will).
  by 25Hz

kilroy wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:Well yea, it COULD be expanded, and there are plans to do so and they want to, ive seen them. However, not owning the land is kind of an issue...........

Don't worry JT. When you get elected President in four years you'll have a nice big house and yard (well for 8 years you will).