• Princeton Station (Dinky) Relocation Approved

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Patrick Boylan

Yes, the Riverline's currently disconnected from Amtrak's northeast corridor, but not by much track distance. But the Riverline's shops are in CAMDEN. It's far more likely that any light rail Dinky shops would be on or near the Dinky's right of way.
Relative to many of the hurdles others have mentioned above, restoring some track connection at Trenton for Dinky light rail shop moves would not be an enormous obstacle, I'd put it somewhere in the high 600's on the death by 1,000 cuts scale. Real estate's tight there. I'm sure they could squeeze something weird in, which probably would involve a switchback move through the Riverline's 2 track 8 car storage shed that's where the former connection was, and of course involve clearing out a few of those stored 8 cars during any shop moves. There are also 2 streaks of rust that I believe was the freight route between the Riverline's right of way and Amtrak, which make a long circle around Amtrak's north side.
Trainlawyer wrote:while I do not want to reargue the Bruce Miller case here, the fear of another lawsuit (since they are the property owner) is, from the University's corporate view, a significant factor.
Without rearguing it could you please let me know what is the Bruce Miller case?
  by Dcell

What a waste of an Arrow car. Just rip up the track and make the Dinky ROW a dedicated busway. Use a natural gas bus to keep Princeton free of soot.
  by M&Eman

If they are going to move the station further away. It makes sense to go through with some sort of conversion to busway or light rail that will allow it to snake it's way past the current site get to Nassau Street somehow. If it is not walkable from Nassau, it is not worth having at all.
  by 25Hz

No. Keep it as is, at the new shorter length. Better less than nothing.

Busway.. the idea is laughable.
  by Matt Johnson

Walkable is relative - I've walked from Princeton Junction to Princeton before! :)
  by alewifebp

I would have rather seen the new facilities built over the ROW where necessary. I find it odd that a university would be so anti-train.
  by ApproachMedium

well its been obvious for ages that the school does not care about the train because it does not do anything for their revenue. The only people that care about the train are the teachers professors and students that actually commute to the school and use it.
  by Steampowered

actually i think the train should be extened to the parking deck in palmer square. Its a perfect synergy. Obviously the people in princeton arent forward thinking, and want to make it harder for people who visit from nyc, and philly harder to get into town. Just move the dinky further south or north.
  by 25Hz

All PU cares about is money and shiny new facilities.
  by morris&essex4ever

25Hz wrote:All PU cares about is money and shiny new facilities.
Wouldn't you if you were them?
  by cobra30689

Trainlawyer wrote: Bruce Miller is the poor fellow who thought that the wire was turned off at night.
Something compelled me to go look this guy up....

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/BJ-M ... 369267.php

I'm sorry, but common sense should tell you that climbing on top of a train is NOT a bright idea. Of course as a railroader my opinions are clouded because I know what that 12kv can do...but still.......
  by Fan Railer

cobra30689 wrote:
Trainlawyer wrote: Bruce Miller is the poor fellow who thought that the wire was turned off at night.
Something compelled me to go look this guy up....

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/BJ-M ... 369267.php

I'm sorry, but common sense should tell you that climbing on top of a train is NOT a bright idea. Of course as a railroader my opinions are clouded because I know what that 12kv can do...but still.......
I wouldn't go with "clouded." I think "enlightened" is a bit more suited to your statement.
  by jamesinclair

I dont get how university administrators can be so short-sighted when it comes to rail transit. Must be the $1 million + salaries which allow for private chauffeured limos.

USC and University of Maryland are other examples of schools with strong anti-rail bias even though they greatly serve the students, teachers and staff.
  by amm in ny

jamesinclair wrote:I dont get how university administrators can be so short-sighted when it comes to rail transit.

USC and University of Maryland are other examples of schools with strong anti-rail bias even though they greatly serve the students, teachers and staff.
I can't speak for USC or UMD, but Princeton (U) definitely sees itself as a bucolic paradise separated from the wider world, a bit like Brigadoon. The campus is set up to cosset the students and to encourage them not to stray off-campus, and the faculty and administration and most of the staff live either withing walking distance or only a short drive away. Not only do very few people who are connected with the University use the train regularly, but I think the presence of the train more or less on-campus is an unwelcome reminder of the proximity of The World.
  by NJT4115

It won't be too long before the Dinky is pushed as far back as West Windsor. Dang NIMBYs.