• "Alcos on the Island" Rolf Scheneirder video

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by mirrodie

Just borrowed the video from our library.

If you haven't seen it, its interesting. It chronicles the motive power before my time. Who knows, perhaps one day we can look forward to EMDs on the island ;)

One interesting new thing I learned was that the turntable at Greenport was powered by air from the locomotive itself.

Anyway, thought some here might enjoy it.
  by keyboardkat

I don't know how far back your time is, but the LIRR was all-EMD from the mid-70s through the '90s. And today's DE-30s and DM-30s are at least partially EMD, because they have EMD model 710 diesel engines. Does this video go back to the Fairbanks-Morse era on the LIRR, prior to 1964?
  by No Door Light

I bought the DVD last year, and it is a nice look at the LIRR of the past. It does have some footage of the F/M locomotives out in Port Jefferson. There is also some nice RDC fan trip footage also. Definitely worth the $29.95 price.
  by greenwichlirr

keyboardkat wrote:I don't know how far back your time is, but the LIRR was all-EMD from the mid-70s through the '90s.
This is wrong. Alco 420's were still roaming the rails into the late 1980's.
  by keyboardkat

greenwichlirr wrote:
keyboardkat wrote:I don't know how far back your time is, but the LIRR was all-EMD from the mid-70s through the '90s.
This is wrong. Alco 420's were still roaming the rails into the late 1980's.
That's true, my mistake. The final eight Alco C-420s survived into the '80s. They were the last order of C-420s Alco built.
  by nyandw

[quote="mirrodie"]...One interesting new thing I learned was that the turntable at Greenport was powered by air from the locomotive itself."
E7s Atlantic (4-4-2) 1940 on the turntable Photo: Fagerberg

Armstrong turntable view SE 1955 Photo: Bill Slade

View west of 4 stall engine house from the roof of the brick freight house c. 1910 W. J. Rugen Collection: SUNY, Stony Brook, NY Thanks to: Dave Morrision
  by ALcocentury

Last picture looks like Patchogue,not Greenport,also note the delivery wagon,sure would be a long buggy ride to Patchogue
  by nyandw

ALcocentury wrote:Last picture looks like Patchogue,not Greenport,also note the delivery wagon,sure would be a long buggy ride to Patchogue
Yes, you're correct. I neglected to indicate that it is the air table at Patchogue. Duh. Nice catch!