Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Joe Greenstein

This is an invitation to participate in an exciting new project.
I am a rail writer/photographer and I’m working on an article on the Long Island Rail Road for one of the major rail magazines.
I’m very interested in communicating with:
-Anyone who commutes on LIRR on a regular basis.
-Anyone who works for, or has worked for, LIRR.
Please contact me and I’ll get back to you with the details. I need your input to make this article a success.
Many thanks.

by Clemuel

Joe,

I'm sure you know that the Railroad's rules prohibit employees from giving statements to writers.

Timing is everything. While I'm aware you've written dozens of articles in trade and fan magazines, employees may be a bit suspect these days.

Last week, a writer from one daily Chicage-based newspaper was attempting to prepare an article on behalf of the MTA to lobby for pension and Railroad Retirement reforms (reduction and elimination). He has approached several employees and retirees and has been ejected from the property several times.

Because of this, be forewarned that the welcome you receive around the LIRR may less than friendly.

Clem
Last edited by Clemuel on Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by emfinite

Joe,

I have enjoyed your articles in Trains and RailNews magazines. The featured cab unit article in RailNews was very fascinating with excellent photographic illustrations. Good luck on future articles!

Joe
  by ncvab

Joe Greenstein wrote:This is an invitation to participate in an exciting new project. I need your input to make this article a success.
Many thanks.
You're a professional writer.
Last edited by ncvab on Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Lupo 10

Joe,

I've commuted every day for over 5 years, but I'm also a train enthusiast and serve on the board of the Twin Forks Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society. I'll gladly volunteer my time for your article if you're interested. I have enjoyed all of your work and photos over the years. You also helped me immensly with my personal research on the New York Cross Harbor a few years ago. So this seems like an oppurtunity to give back to you. Email me at [email protected] if interested.

Thanks!

by Lirr168

Come on, ncvab, give the guy a break. At least he's going about this the right way by coming to the people who ride the rails everyday instead of relying on the b.s. that gets put in the papers or MTA publications. True, he will ultimately gain financially from our input, but in all honesty, we all have the same opportunity to capitalize on our knowledge of the railroad by writing an article.
  by Joe Greenstein

I'm still looking to contact more LIRR commuters, or frequent LIRR riders, for their input.
I've gotten three solid responses so far, for which I'm grateful.
Could use at least three more.
Anyone want to step up to the plate?