• Finding a way into the LIRR workforce at age of 18

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by VDYard

Bensalem
If you're still mad at what I wrote, then you have to wait a few more years as you simply don't get it yet. Stop jumping up and down at being called a retard and read what I said. Trying to help here, Dude!
VDYard

by Bensalem SEPTA rider

Lirr168 wrote:Bravo Bensalem, well said. :wink:
Thanks. The fact is, I love trains, if that makes me retarted, then we're all going back to pree skoo :wink: l!

But seriously, Aspergers kids are KNOWN to have HIGHER IQ's than normal. And like I said, Black, White, Hispanic, Asian,...Here's a thought...How about us all being HUMAN!? Has that crossed your mind?

The MTA does not discriminate against white people. If they did, explain NYC Transit needing a 70% farebox recovery to get funding, yet all LIRR has to do is stick it's hand out, and it gets Pataki's pocket. I believe it's more of a "we have 1,000 applicants for 10 jobs" thing than "Whitey pack back time" thing. If it was all about whitey pay back, then the state would have let the LIRR fold in 1965 instead of stepping in. You guys are getting ESA while the city STILL DOESN'T HAVE THE SAS. Now come back to me with this "anti-whitey" crap...

by Liquidcamphor

BSR, you raised some good points and personally, I hope you get a job there, but I have to disagree with a few things. In 1965, the LIRR and TA workforce were predominately white as was the population of NYC and both organizations customer base. So what does racial issues have to do with the State taking over the LIRR in '65 have to do with it?

The LIRR has waited quite a long time for ESA, it was proposed in the 60's. And it's not there yet and not for quite awhile. Those "whiteys" on the LIRR contribute a hell of a lot of tax revenue to this State so the State can give handouts to the so-called "oppressed" of society supposedly deprived of the oppurtunity to work. New York has to throw the contributors to society a "bone" so they can work and pay for skells who contribute nothing.

The City of New York..population 7 million, has 1 million on welfare. Nice. 1/7th of the population on the dole. Somebody has to pay for that. Gee, I wonder who? Better keep them working...

by Bensalem SEPTA rider

Liquidcamphor wrote:BSR, you raised some good points and personally, I hope you get a job there, but I have to disagree with a few things. In 1965, the LIRR and TA workforce were predominately white as was the population of NYC and both organizations customer base. So what does racial issues have to do with the State taking over the LIRR in '65 have to do with it?

The LIRR has waited quite a long time for ESA, it was proposed in the 60's. And it's not there yet and not for quite awhile. Those "whiteys" on the LIRR contribute a hell of a lot of tax revenue to this State so the State can give handouts to the so-called "oppressed" of society supposedly deprived of the oppurtunity to work. New York has to throw the contributors to society a "bone" so they can work and pay for skells who contribute nothing.

The City of New York..population 7 million, has 1 million on welfare. Nice. 1/7th of the population on the dole. Somebody has to pay for that. Gee, I wonder who? Better keep them working...

You rasie some equally good, but outdated points. as of the 2000 census, NYC is a city of 8 Million people (3 million of which are white), and of those, 400,000 are on welfare. Although, 2 million are on medicaid. But to say people who "don't work" is a vastly discirmantory and old-fashioned comment (and I'm not trying to characterize you as discriminatory or old-fashioned). The fact is, all those Indians, Africans/Carribeans, Hispanics, Chinese, Russians that look like they're not working as hard as you, actually are. Have you been to the outer boroughs recently? They may not have the big yards or fancy schools of LI, but they're well-kept, safe and hard-working. The only difference is that they're of a much different skin-tone than of the 1950's. Those guys coming off "the boat" are opening shops and resturants, sweeping hotel rooms, fixing cars, working construction, filing papers and reaching the ranks of mamagement. That's what's beautiful about the city. Without the city, the state would have lost 2,000,000 residents. That affects you're standing in Washington which gives money to the railroad.

But that doesn't say Long Island isn't deserving. Long Island is a beautiful place to live and rasie a familiy. So you guys deserve you're projects and funding. But the city is by far no freeloader. It's those immigrants and middle class of the outer boroughs that keep the state and region afloat, and that's the same for any region of the US and the same situation currently exists in Europe. As for the 1965 takeover, the fact is the demograpchis of the city we're already shifting dramatically at the time (city by 1960 had already replaced 1 million whites with 700-800 thousand non-whites) and Long Island was quickly becoming the epicenter of the region's economic growth, as well as the catchbasin for the city's white flight. So there is some politics at play. But more-so than in other areas of the US, the inequalities all balance out to equality. LIers pay for NYC's medicaid burden, while NYC gets shiafted in Albany for LIers with wide pockets. That's the paradox of not only the Railroad or NYS, but of America's society and politics as a whole.

by Richard Glueck

Leave the racism out of the discussion and answer the boy's question.
My opinion is, get your college degree and apply for part-time summer work either at a station or as a trainman. Hit the books first, unless you have no desire to go further. Nothing wrong with voc school or a two-year degree. You must get further education however, or you will remain in the lower echalons of the company forever, protected only by what your Union gets you. Get into college and do your best to get decent grades, then apply for summer work, either an apprenticeship or part-time employment. Don't let other people tell you that you are starting off behind the ball because you are white. Just take a shot at it and be persistant. Good luck and be positive.

by SeldenJrFireman

The MTA doesn't care if you have Aspergers or a high IQ, all they care about is if you can get the job done.

by KFRG

Im sure this thread brings back memories for the elders on the board. Remember the days as a kid you would shop along Jamaica Ave with your parents, or catch a flick? How times have changed, and I say it's too bad.

-Tom

by Clemuel

Among the many non-truths stated in this thread is that the LIRR values a formal education for advancement.

"Advancement" in the traditional sense of the word does not exist in the Company. Unless one rises through the ranks, a management position usually means one could not cut in the the crafts, where the big bucks are.

Yes, for personal fulfillment, one may seek higher education. But seeking a management (or what is now referred to as an "individual contributor") position on the LIRR will only assure you lifetime earnings of 50% of the skilled crafts.

Hate to say it, but so far VD Yard has made the most sense here.

by Long Island 7285

VD did make sence ill second that

by lirrmike

Watch the name calling people.

Mike