Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Howiew

There was nothing in the web site regarding the accident. My guess is that the train could have gone too fast to stop and overran the bumper.
  by frankie

I would venture a guess around the early to mid-50's. Anyone know when the Standards stopped running on the Jamaica line?

BTW, I would love to see a photo of where the truck landed! I just hope there were no cars beneath it considering that this area of Jamaica Avenue is a high traffic thoroughfare.

Frankie
  by Tadman

Was the truck sheared off at the bumper or did it fall off? I know now that FRA passenger train cars are mandated to have bolted kingpins rather than gravity kingpins, but this train is neither FRA-compliant nor contemporary.
  by railfan365

frankie wrote:I would venture a guess around the early to mid-50's. Anyone know when the Standards stopped running on the Jamaica line?

BTW, I would love to see a photo of where the truck landed! I just hope there were no cars beneath it considering that this area of Jamaica Avenue is a high traffic thoroughfare.

Frankie
The Standards ran until sometime in 1969.
  by HBLR

Maybe the motorman thought he was still in coney island on a bumper car?