• LIRR Alco Century 420 memories

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by trainspot

keyboardkat wrote:LA&L 420 seems to have been set up to run short hood first, contrary to LIRR practice. Did the LA&L shops move the control stand to the other side of the cab, or does the engineer just run the engine from the (now) left side?

I seem to remember that there is another short line somewhere with an ex-LIRR C-420 that not only set it up to run short hood first, but, after removing the steam generator, gave the locomotive a chopped nose. I saw that years ago in Trains, but I can't remember the road.
I can name two off the top of my head, LI 207 became Little Rock & Western 101, GB&W shops did the nose chop, and LI 208 became Detroit & Mackinac 976, Morrison Knudsen chopped & rebuilt that one. There were also a few that R&S chopped, not sure how many or the numbers, off hand.
  by nyandw

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrc420.htm
The 201, 204, 217 and 220 worked on the Mexican Railway system. The 207 went from the Erie Western to become 101 on the Little Rock & Western. The 201,202 and 204 were used by Morrison-Knudsen on the Vermont Northern. Number 202 was later resold to P. V. Commodity Ltd. in Calgary, Canada. The 207 worked the Green Bay yards on the Green Bay & Western.

In 1976, a new person in charge of the fleet came from the Milwaukee Road, which sported an all-EMD fleet. Besides at this time ALCO had ceased to exist since 1969. LIRR/MTA management switched to GP 38-2’s, MP-15AC’s, and SW-1001’s as the ALCO fleet was aging. The 252 was the only GP 38-2 to be delivered in bicentennial colors, and was almost exactly the same as the bicentennial engines of the Milwaukee Road.

Here are what's left:

200 is now (LA&L) Livonia, Avon & Lakeville #420, Lakeville, NY, operational in service 1995
Photo: Lakeville Yard Bulk Transfer Facility LALRR-C420-exLIRR200.jpg (31301 bytes)

LIRR 200 working freight upstate on the Livonia, Avon & Lakeville, from this past August.jpg (78879 bytes) 08/2008 Photo: Otto Vondrak

204, 220 in Mexico, going to museum, scrapped 204 parts to go for 220

207 (LR&W) Little Rock & Western #101, Little Rock, Arkansas, chop nose, scrapped, used for parts

211 VLIX 41 at Delaware Lackawanna shops, it may have been heavily vandalized, now owned by Delaware Lackawanna. (Paul Strubeck 07/08)

213 Dakota Southern RR #213, operational, needs wheel work. 213 was supposed to have a truck swap with an EMD, which would lower it to the standard 70 mph. I assume they did or planned to do this to take advantage of the famous Alco acceleration capability. Info from Nicholas Todd.

208 Lake States #976 chop nose, had major fire recently and will be scrapped. 208 was supposedly scrapped. Info from Nicholas Todd.
202, 203, 205, and the R&S units (206,209,212,214,215,216,218,219) have been scrapped.

210 was scrapped shortly after being stripped for parts. 210 sank on a barge; subequently salvaged. Info from Nicholas Todd.

The 222-229 were to be sold through Naporano in 1989, which bid the highest price, to a company in Suriname. There was only one company that I was aware of that had rails there: A bauxite firm which bought two SP RSD12s from Chrome Crankshaft ca. 1980. Supposedly this operation never got off, but the tracks still exist. I doubt the Alcos exist, but one never knows.

Info from Tim Darnell:

201 and 217 were scrapped down in Mexico. I've received sad news about ex-LIRR C-420 #204, it was cut up in July 2004 in Mexico. The good news is parts were taken to restore C-420 #220 and ex-D&H C-628 610. Apparently radiators were replaced with those from C-424s or M-424s by FNM or possibly MLW. #220- Supposedly preserved in Mexico, possibly at the Merida Museum.

C420 #207 LR&W #101 is scrapped, used for parts.

C420 #208 Lake State #976 has been parted out and scrapped.

C420 #221, the last of the first batch of C420s was withdrawn from service in October, 1977. Buffalo Southern #2010 Hamburg, NY, currently stored, but used by them previously.

C420 #222, the first of the second batch of C420s was withdrawn from service 1/21/88.

Best,
Steve
Last edited by nyandw on Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by joetrain59

The last post on P.1 teases us with a story to be told about a cop pulling over an engineer, while running a train??
Ask Tom S., poster says. Love to hear that story!
Joe
  by Doc Emmet Brown

Just bumped this for ny&a he was looking for this thread.
  by mirrodie

on the move with lots of smoke, flames and noise,

the above is from the first page. why flames???
  by Tadman

If an engine burns rich enough and there's enough combustible gas in the exhaust, and the exhaust is hot enough (or has a spark source), you got flames coming out the top.
  by Paul

November 1976, Hicksville station. Incomes a westbound freight with all five remaining C-420s and a very, very long train coming off the Ronkonkoma. Just before the the east end platform, the engineer swipes out the throttle to 8 and lays on the horn coming through the station at what seemed like 30 mph. Worst C-420 memory was 1988 or so at Selkirk and I was performing the initial locomotive terminal test on Conrail train DNDA with all five remaining C-420s DIC to Naparano.
  by Doc Emmet Brown

Ok NOT being a nit picker. Just pointing out that the Carle place picture has to be the 70's its already electrified and its engine 200 which was delivered in orange and Gray, and thats the later MTA Paint Job. The Platform is starting to show some wear and tear so its not new, as it was when It was raised for the electrification around 70 or so. The paint job on 200 is also showing wear and tear. Also, all the coaches are in mta colors, if it were the 60's some would still be orange and grey., I would guess 73 or 74.
  by nyandw

Doc Emmet Brown wrote:Ok NOT being a nit picker. Just pointing out that the Carle place picture has to be the 70's engine 200 which was delivered in orange and Gray, and thats the later MTA Paint Job. I would guess 73 or 74.
Doc... Thank you. Not a nit pick by any means. I just threw this up there as Alco smoke and failed to check my own stuff... Yep, hit the "hard deck"! I went back and checked my Hoskin's stuff and sure enough; it was on his 1970's disk...

BTW: IMHO Correcting data, facts, photos, sources, hearsay, "I think nonsense", etc; is not nit pick, but getting it right. Otherwise, this nonsense continues. Contrast the recent valuable Jamaica/FM books to the expensive coffee table books with the very many text/photo/descriptions errors.
  by RGlueck

The response to the Carle Place photo was correct. The colors tell the story, not to mention the high level platform. I find it odd, though not displeasing, that #200, first of the those delivered, survives today in operation. BRING HER HOME!
  by Doc Emmet Brown

Yes she is still in service..she is renumbered 420 as in alco 420!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__6QyQ3w ... re=related
Various shots of her, best one is at 2:30 in this one. also note at 1:17 She has horns on Both ends, and the F is still the long hood.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt7Y5qyV ... re=related
  by Ðauntless

420 should stay up there, where is actually used everyday...unlike anything on LI..
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: 200 (420) looks good...The LA&L takes good care of this unit...
I am all for bringing #200 home if the LA&L does retire it...
MACTRAXX