• LIRR Heritage Unit Design Contest

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by RGlueck

I hope it's permissible to tout for another discussion group on this forum.
I am presently holding a contest to design a heritage paint scheme to fit a DE40, to submit to the Long Island Rail Road. Details are on this website under the discussion section.
http://lirr.thermomods.com/index.php/topic,3095.0.html

Thank you!
  by LIengineerBob

While this is a great idea, the MTA and all it's agencies have been crying poverty for several years now, and funding is short for almost any facet of the MTA's operations.

I couldn't see the LIRR or the MTA (which has the final say), spending money to paint stainless steel equipment (except for the fiberglass nose panels). Keep in mind that the LIRR doesn't even have a paint shop on the premises to do the work!! It would have to be out shopped or done by guys outside with a bucket and mop to apply the paint.
  by 4behind2

Richard, its a great idea and one that several middle managers in Transportation have thought of for at least a decade.

The issue is "who pays". If Sunrise Trail or another entity would foot the bill, I'm sure the concept would happen. If the carrier has to bear the costs (even using adhesives), then it is most unlikely.
  by Morisot

I think it should be a design for those graffiti-esque billboard panels on the sides of the cars.

(Although it is fun to think about a design scheme for a locomotive.)
  by RGlueck

I'm not concerned with who pays for it. I am concerned about making a suggestion for outside the offices at Jamaica, and seeing if anyone bites. Whether money is in short supply or not, if the MTA likes it, it'll get paid for. Please do consider submitting a heritage locomotive scheme for the contest.
Thank you for all your responses.
  by SwingMan

I think if any scheme is going to be done, it has to be done within the lines of the current one.

If you are doing a design, try to look at a photo of a DE/DM. Then put the design within those lines.

I personally think that an orange-black/grey scheme with Dashing Dan logos would be very nice. Simple, yet known publicly.
  by R36 Combine Coach

LIengineerBob wrote:While this is a great idea, the MTA and all it's agencies have been crying poverty for several years now, and funding is short for almost any facet of the MTA's operations.

I couldn't see the LIRR or the MTA (which has the final say), spending money to paint stainless steel equipment (except for the fiberglass nose panels). Keep in mind that the LIRR doesn't even have a paint shop on the premises to do the work!! It would have to be out shopped or done by guys outside with a bucket and mop to apply the paint.
The M-1s and M-3s were stripped of their blue paint in the late 1980s. According to Brian Cudahy it was because LIRR no longer wanted to spent money repainting stainless steel. However MNCR's M-series fleet (including the M-8s) still have their colors.
  by SwingMan

The thing is these cars/engines are painted while in production, NOT in shop (Other than Metro North's rebuilds).
  by keyboardkat

The LIRR used to have a paint shop. The LIRR used to have a lot of things it doesn't have anymore. Like, it used to be an actual railroad, not a transit machine.
  by nyandw

RGlueck wrote:I'm not concerned with who pays for it. I am concerned about making a suggestion for outside the offices at Jamaica, and seeing if anyone bites. Whether money is in short supply or not, if the MTA likes it, it'll get paid for. Please do consider submitting a heritage locomotive scheme for the contest.
Thank you for all your responses.
Have you received any submissions for the contest, or just wind?