Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by N340SG

Well, boys and girls. We have our very first pairs of M-7 mismatched cars.
7280 is mated to 7117 temporarily, until body damage to 7118 and 7279 (which are also mated) is repaired. Good move, provided the network and all that fancy stuff doesn't reject the mismatch!! (It shouldn't be a problem.) 2 cars back in service, instead of all 4 cars OOS.

There's one for you guys to watch for.

Tom
  by IslesFan

N340SG wrote:Well, boys and girls. We have our very first pairs of M-7 mismatched cars.
7280 is mated to 7117 temporarily, until body damage to 7118 and 7279 (which are also mated) is repaired. Good move, provided the network and all that fancy stuff doesn't reject the mismatch!! (It shouldn't be a problem.) 2 cars back in service, instead of all 4 cars OOS.

There's one for you guys to watch for.

Tom
Why are those cars OOS? Are these the cars from the Hempstead Sideswipe?

by MACTRAXX

Tom: More interesting stuff to watch for! Are the damaged cars going to be covered under warranty? MACTRAXX

by tushykushy

OT question:

Was at Farmingdale station today and an extra ran out, terminated at Farm 2. It was a test train obviously as the first 2 and last 2 coaches were brand new. Thing I noticed that was different was the horn. Sounds very different than the earlier M7 fleet. Is that a 2 chimer or is it just differently tuned?

by mark777

These must be the ones I saw today parked at the HSF. I thought I was just seeing things, but now I guess it makes sense, either that, or I was truly just seeing things. The horns on the newer M-7's actually have a more mellodic tone to it than the earlier ones. We had 7351 on the lead last weekend and it had a different sounding horn. I'm not sure if it's a different horn or if it just happens to sound that way when they are new. Then again, M-1/ M-3 horns seem to sound different all the time. We had an M-1 the otherday that sounded like a dying honker!
  by N340SG

IslesFan,

Yes.

Mactraxx,

I strongly doubt it.
If you buy Hyundai Sonata with 10 year warranty, and flip it on SSP, Hyundai is certainly not going to want to pay for it. If you see what I mean.
  by N340SG

Mark777,
We had an M-1 the other day that sounded like a dying honker!
LOL I know the one you're talking about. I bet someone here even has the car number. I wonder if that honker still meets FRA decibel requirement, if anyone were to check. It should just be replaced.

Tom
  by N340SG

Note that when I said temporarily, it may be a long temporarily. I don't believe the damaged cars are being repaired right away, but will be sent back to Babylon Yard for M-7 training until BBD is ready for them.
The good ones, of course, will return to revenue service ASAP.

Tom
  by N340SG

The "good" mismatched pair was PIed Friday morning, after receiving it's new trucks. If all went well, you should be able to spot them in service any time now.

by Peanuts

They are out on the road now... 7117 with its 'mate' 7280. When I came into Hempstead on my train this morning I layed up next to them in the yard. So, gets your camera ready because they are out there running around now!

by emfinite

Heard a certification today on the radio for a train with head motor #7117.