• Possibilities

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by kylewoody

Hey guys,

As I mentioned before, I'm moving to Orlando in a few months.

I am 19 years old, and currently trying to get my CDL. What are the plausible job opportunities for me down there? Is CSX down there? Any other smaller lines? I want to apply now, and get a career going.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kyle

by johnnynick

Try to apply at either www.amdg.ws or through the University of North Florida at www.ce.unf.edu/railroad.html as far as CSX goes down there. Not sure of you situation, but it is extemely hard to get into the training program without a hs diploma/ged and either 2 yrs full time employment or schooling post high school. If you go after it hard enough you might have some luck, but your age will hurt your chances. Other options are shortlines or possibly FEC, but I have no idea on where to start with those guys, you would have to call and get info from them and explain to them your situation. You could also try the National Academy of Railroad Sciences (NARS) in Overland Park, KS and see where you can go from there. I wish the best of luck to you.

by kylewoody

Thank you John.

So even to be on the bottom of the todem pole, like a yard laborer, I still need to have training from a school?

Kyle

by johnnynick

Unfortunately yes, if your looking for any kind of job in train service getting into training program is a must.