• Portsmouth Branch Activity

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by gokeefe

A brief check on Google appears to indicate local media have missed this story completely.
  by artman

gokeefe wrote:No idea. One correction. Pretty sure Sea-3 is propane only. That being the case the export possibility is interesting. There apparently is more volume than import based on the capital investment being made.
You are correct. A writeograpahical error on my part
  by MECFAN

DO-1 313 with 1 gon spacer and 4 propane breaking trail Across Rte-33 into Portsmouth at 12:15
  by MECFAN

DO-1 313 with 2 covered hoppers and 6 empty propane sleeping the day away on the pads at gosling road in Newington at 13:00 hours. 3 boxes at Boise and 2 loaded centerbeams and a box at the bottom of the hill of Boise spur.
  by Dick H

Portsmouth job leaving Rockingham at 10:30PM, 1/12, for Portsmouth.
They have line #12 to protect crossing at Greenland Rd. (Rt. 33)
  by Dick H

An article in Seacoast on Line last week stated there was a major shortage of propane in NH
SEA-3 in Newington was to get a ship delivery on Friday and another one this Tuesday. A
third shipment is due in February, I believe that PAR had been delivering six tank cars
of LPG to SEA-3 twice a week in recent months. How these ship deliveries will effect
that situation remains to be seen.
  by MECFAN

DO-1 354 with 10 outbound cars sitting at the Highliner switch all weekend should roll to Rockingham Monday morning. Crew tends to show up around 10 but you never know when thet will get here.

Still there as of 14:30 Tuesday.
  by newpylong

Just another spoke in the wheel of the systematic destruction of two once proud and valuable (to someone who really wanted to railroad) railroads.
  by MECFAN

Newpy sad but true what a waste. I can't imagine building condos along the edge of the mill pond with the old crumbled roundhouse, old brick building and the boat yard plus the lumber yard to the west. To the east the metal salt shed and salt pile plus the rail line running by also. Have a look on goggle maps.
  by Hux

In the area to the east of the brewery building there is plenty of room to build a number of buildings. The question is whether they plan entry through the lumber yard area or would they create an entry off McDonough Street, which would require a crossing. I can't imagine someone wanting to traverse an active industrial area to get to a "waterfront" abode.
Last edited by MEC407 on Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
  by gokeefe

People said and felt much the same thing about the mill properties in Saco and Biddeford and yet "here we are".

I think newpylong makes a very fair point that the railroad is fundamentally giving up on certain kinds of possible operations in this area. That being said they are not throwing in the towel completely in Portsmouth (as other railroads might have).
  by artman

MECFAN wrote:Newpy sad but true what a waste. I can't imagine building condos along the edge of the mill pond with the old crumbled roundhouse, old brick building and the boat yard plus the lumber yard to the west. To the east the metal salt shed and salt pile plus the rail line running by also. Have a look on goggle maps.
When I see lonely houses on a busy state road, lots of noise and high traffic, it reminds me that for every house/condo, there is SOMEONE who will buy it. Amazing
  by BM6569

I'm sure if those get built, you will see even more protests against the propane shipments!
  by doublebell

In the past month there have been three LPG tankers docked at Newington.
John, the guy with the blue car with the wing on back