• portable radio or scanner (new guy)

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

by roknrail

Would a portable radio such as an Mt1000 give me better reception than a scanner?

Are they expensive to have programmed?

I have seen some on e-bay but skeptical on buying.Where else can i find them?

thanks

scott
  by CarterB

Portable radios like the MT1000, Talkabout, RadioShack, etc. are usually a set number of channels and have to have frequencies either specifically programmed in by a dealer at a cost of around $50, or the newer ones are only on FRS or GPRS frequencies, which are NOT anywhere near RR frequencies, which are 95 frequencies in the 160.110 megahertz to 161.565 megahertz range, in 15 kilohertz increments.

A VHF scanner, however in the 150-170 MHz range could be useful. As far as reception is concerned, the power of the receiver has little or nothing to do with reception, so the closer you are to rr operation/s the better the reception.
  by Plate F

If you do decide to go that route, be sure to disable the PTT key. It will keep you out of a heap of trouble.