• port reading secondary and lehigh valley question

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by chessie jackson

a few friends and i are planning a short road trip out to the delaware in june and plan to either hug the port reading or the lehigh on our way there. i'm not too familiar with the activity west of manville being we usually shoot from south plainfield. so this may be a silly question, but which line would we catch more action on out west? i know we shoot a lot of lines coming up from philly so i would assume the lehigh would be a better line to stay near but input from someone who knows more would help. thanks!
  by RailsEast

The Port Reading Secondary runs from CP-PD in Port Reading to CP Boundbrook in Bound Brook (connection to the Lehigh Line), and sees an ethanol train and an intermodal or two a day; not a ton of traffic, parallels I-287.
The Lehigh Line is Norfolk Southerns main east/west route to the metropolitan area with an abundance of traffic. West of Bound Brook there is only the Lehigh Line to follow (although to follow it closely is not easy, and will require a good road map); parallels I-78, although at a distance most of the time.
Lehigh Line freq is 160.860 (CR North Jersey Dispatcher) from Oak Island to CP PtReadingJct (Manville), 161.070 (NS Lehigh Line Dispatcher) west of there.......happy hunting!
Chris
  by ccutler

You can go to the NJ Transit station at Bound Brook which is next to both the LV and Port Reading lines as well at the NJ Transit RV line.
  by chessie jackson

Railseast thanks a bunch! And I've been spending my free time at work on google maps planning possible routes. And ccutler thanks for the suggestion. I know both lines run parallel there but never thought to sit at the station for some reason. After our trip I'll most likely post a thread with photos!