• Plastic Airbrake Handles

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by GOLDEN-ARM

Steelwheels, I found a second one. PM me, and I will hook you up as well, for the cost of shipping. Regards :wink:

by GN 599

The SOO reversers have their logo embossed on the top. Found one in one of our units, not bad for a plastic reverser.

by thebigc

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Steelwheels, I found a second one. PM me, and I will hook you up as well, for the cost of shipping. Regards :wink:
You found a second one? Sure you don't have a milk crate full of them in your garage?!? And a coffee can full of switch keys? Are you one of them? :-D :-D

by GOLDEN-ARM

Actually, I had 4 milk crates, with assorted handles. Sold almost all of them last year, on eBay. Also sold over 200 switch keys, and I actually had my home raided, by the FBI along with the NS police department, due to a collection of S&G keys, I had listed. I told the feds I had no "101" keys, which are the NS key. I showed him the collection, and as I stated, no 101 keys were present. The NS guy had no argument left, and although I did pull the auction, for a total of 11 S&G keys, I also showed the "feds" how I could open a supposedly "high-security" lock just as fast with a non-key, as I could with a key. I won't mention what item I used, but lot's of railroaders have this item, which opens ANY S&G high security lock in the same time a key will do it. The NS and the feds were a little "pissed" when I showed them how to do it, and they also acknowledged that these locks were probably not the locks to have, in the field. (DUH!!!) I sold tons of handle sets, lots of them from locos I gave info on. Scrapped ALCO's at Naporanos, scrapped turboliner, E-44's, etc. Also sold, my 20 plus year collection of timetables, rulebooks, and all sorts of operating manuals. I made over 15,000 dollars, in three months, on eBay! Selling the stuff I collected at work, and more importantly, out of the trash. All of those old TT's, EC-99's, etc., made me a pile of dough. What is an obsolete timetable this year, is worth bucks, ten or twenty years down the road. All you gotta do is store the stuff, safely. And pick-up every thing you see. Old handles, flagging containers, cardboard first-aid kits, signal study cards, form D books, etc., all worth something, to someone, down the road. I guess that makes me "one of them"? Regards :P
  by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE

Hey-----is that why they call you Golden Arm? LOL :P That's great advise to us newbies------keep everything! It will be worth something to somebody one day-----I might be able to buy mama some new dancing shoes one day.

Nashvillie Newbie

by thebigc

I finally bought a digital camera and have been considering unloading my RR stuff on eBay myself but am a little cautious for the same reasons you were harassed. 15 grand, huh? I see another Harley in my garage!

NS uses the 101 key? What about the former CR territory that had been using the 102? Same or now 101? As you can tell, I haven't been over the Southern Tier (NS) since the CR dissolution.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Sure, "one mans trash is another mans highly paid for trash", or something like that. Any dead engines you see, going to the scrappers, are fair game. Anything in the trash, also fair game. Get a new lantern? clean your old one, and save it away, also worth something. Get the picture? Kind of like a "poor mans 401-K program", so to speak. Free hats when they give 'em away. Safety freebies? Operation Lifesaver giveaways? Don't wear it, save it. You get the idea. 20 years from now, your old stuff will be worth something as well. The swag comes pretty quickly, once you get it into your mind that EVERYTHING is worth something, to someone. I never said no, to a freebie, and I always grab an extra copy of everything, whenever possible. Regards :wink:

by GOLDEN-ARM

Hey, BigC, the NS "proper" uses the 101. The "acquired" NS uses whatever prior rights locks were in use. (in this case, CR was the 102 key). My own experience has been, CSX stuff won't be allowed to sell, due to a "team" of lawyers, whose only goal in life is to shut down every attempted sale, of CSX stuff, no matter how old. NS stuff is also a gamble, unless it's old, or not considered to be "sensitive", by the lawyers. Keep a list of bidders, for all auctions, and if an item gets pulled, contact the person off ebay, and finish the deal. (this is against eBay policies, but hey, who is Karen Coster-Burr, and Atlantic Beach Law, PA's, to stop me from making a buck, off CSX trash?) Use words like "obsolete", "antique" and "discontinued" in your auctions, to maximize the chance of them making it to sale. I became a "Power-Seller" in 3 months time, as well as a "Square-Trade" member, and continue to hold a 100% positive feedback rating, with over 1500 auctions, to date, all in my spare time, when not out running. I got a "PayPal account, and use the money I get from auctions, to finance my purchases, like the "all time LV diesel roster, in HO, with DCC", or other LV swag. Good luck, either way. :-D

by BR&P

Absolutely right - anything with the company name is an investment. I still have some nice NYC pencils, never sharpened, not to mention countless rulebooks, pamphlets, etc. And don't overlook Goldenarms words "store the stuff - safely" I had a nice collection of Penn Central Post employee magazines, but let them get beat up and dog-eared. They're probably still worth something, but if I had taken care of them.... Somewhere in the basement is a box of blank B&O train order form pads - she asked once why I need all those, and I said someday I'd sell them. Nashville Newbie has the right answer, I'll promise her a new pair of boots and a night out 2-stepping and she'll leave me alone, LOL.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Steelwheels, you reverser was shipped today. Enjoy. :-D

by SteelWheels21

You're the man, GA. Boy am I gonna start raiding all the timetables and forms they have for us at our home terminal computer room.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Good idea. Never too early to start planning on that retirement fund, you know :wink:

by thebigc

SteelWheels21 wrote:You're the man, GA. Boy am I gonna start raiding all the timetables and forms they have for us at our home terminal computer room.
I was lucky and hired out at a time of many retirements. All Erie and Lackawanna guys. I was more than happy to help them clean out their lockers!

At the time, we were also hiring engineers off other RRs and obtained a wide variety of TTs, rule books, air brake, etc...

It could be time to start selling on eBay instead of just buying!!

by SteelWheels21

Golden-Arm...I received the reverser today, thank you so much. I wasn't expecting how heavy it would be, that could be used as a weapon against unruly conductors.

by GOLDEN-ARM

That extra weight comes in handy, when you're switching. Just flick the end of the reverser, with your finger tips, and it "slams" into forward or reverse. Quick and easy. For "troublesome" conductors, put in into a sock, slide it to the toes, tie a knot, and ........... :-D Glad you like it. ENJOY.