• Pickering Valley Branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by David Hutchinson

Looking for any info on the Reading Pickering Valley Branch. Help!

by pdtrains

what did you want to know....

You can still see the row by the Reading phoenixville station, and
down thru the old Phoenix steel property.
I believe that the truss bridge over the creek there, was the
RR bridge.

Also I believe there are remnants out where it connected to the
R&N, north of elverson....

b.

by David Hutchinson

I am thinking of modeling the branch. Would like to know:

- when it was torn up
- any of the industries (buildings) left, such as the abbatoir in Kimberton or the paint company in Ironsides
- what type of power was used (noticed in the employees tt that there were no restrictions on motive power)
- can I see anything today in Ironsides or Kimberton... remnants, etc.

Thanks out there.

by JimBoylan

pdtrains wrote:I believe there are remnants out where it connected to the R&N, north of elverson
Was it possible to run trains through from the end of the Pickering Valley branch at Byers to the end of the St. Peters branch and down that line to Elverson on the Wilmington & Northern? This map from 1903-4 shows a gap:
Http://historical.maptech.com/getImage. ... g&state=PA
After the Reading cut the line back to Kimberton, it tried to sell it to the Valley Forge Scenic Rwy. The old land owners sucessfully claimed that the property reverted to them once the Reading stopped using it! The VFSR's new station, some cars, and volunteers moved to the New Hope & Ivyland RR.

by pdtrains

Sorry, I was thinking of the St. Peters Br. connecting to the R&N.

pdtrains

by David Hutchinson

i just noticed that the branch used to go all the way to Byers, where there was a creamery.........

by choess

For a few years in the 1890s the "Delaware River & Lancaster RR" operated a line from French Creek Jct. near Kimberton along French Creek to connect the Pickering Valley Branch with the switchback at Saint Peters. I think it was independent, although it leased Reading or W&N power. The route is nicely plotted on this Franklin Atlas.

by salminkarkku

The "Delaware River & Lancaster" was incorporated in 1868 to build from the Delaware river to Lancaster, but remained a paper railroad for 22 years. It was reported as having built from French Creek Junction to St Peter's in 1890, but was not being operated. In the year 1892-3 it operated a passenger service from Phoenixville (trackage on RDG), French Creek Jct, Sweeder, Roberts, Pughtown, Coventryville and a terminus at St Peter's. It then ceased operations and was junked in 1895.

Not sure if it connected with the RDG French Creek branch at St Peter's.