• Photo op changes in Utica

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by lvrr325

Figured I'd mentiion this if any of you guys are planning on chasing the Utica side anytime soon... passing through Utica on 5A today I noticed that signs are posted for a Dunkin Donuts going up on the triangle shaped lot bordered by the NYS&W on the east, 5A (Oriskany Street) on the north, and Schuyler Street on the west. It's about a block north of the elevated crossing shanty - looks like it would be an easy grab shot of a northbound with that in the background, but now there's going to be a building in the way. And of course the crews won't be able to stop there very easily unless they're running a light engine, or are going south and want to walk across and tangle with the traffic on 5A. (I always thought the place to have a donut shop or restaurant is a spot like CP-285/CP-286 in Syracuse, right next to the tracks, to catch crews on the way in/out/passing by the yard).

Why they need it with one that moved from a spot a mile and a half or so to the west next to Voss's takeout stand, about another 1/3 of a mile west, an independent donut shop in the old location, and the dairy a couple tenths of a mile east of that - plus another DD over on Genesee St - is beyond me, but the economy in Utica must be doing well, because there's three Rite-Aids (two former Eckerds) all open within a mile of each other on 5A and 69, and other store duplications really close to each other in that area too. Don't get it, but they all gotta be selling things. But that's a topic for some other forum.