• Photo of NYC #3017 after boiler explosion

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by klroost

Hello everyone,
While i am not a serious railfan, i have always found myself around them.
I was wondering if anyone had any information on engine #3017
While doing some other research at my local historical society. I came across this picture of #3017 after it blew up, more or less in my yard on jan. 18th, 1911.
thanks
Bill

by BaltOhio

Welcome, Bill!

If your date is correct, the 3017 was brand-new when it blew up, since it was built in January 1911 by the American Locomotive Co.'s Schenectady plant. It was a 4-6-2 Pacific type, NYC's class K-10. These were basically passenger engines, but had relatively small (69-inch) driving wheels and were often used as utility engines, on local passenger trains, freights, and even switching work.

Despite appearances, the 3017 rose from the dead. It got a new boiler in June 1911 and was finally scrapped in June 1934.
  by klroost

Awesome info, thanks. That picture you see, is a picture of the actual picture. On the back of the original, written in india ink, with a nib pen, was the date, jan. 18th, 1911. Judging by the picture, i would say it blew up at least a few days before that picture was taken. It must of been brand new when it happened. If your interested, this happened right near "wende station".
Again thanks for the info.
Bill

by Otto Vondrak

What state might this be?
  by ChiefTroll

What state might this be?
Otto - Wende, New York was at MP 422.2 on the Syracuse Division, about 19 miles west of Batavia.
Gordon Davids