• PAR Business Train (ST 100, 101, 102 & 103; PAR 1 & 2)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by b&m 1566

I thought CSX was purchasing all assets, including the non railroad related assets?
  by MEC407

They are, according to the filing, which is a bit surprising. Many of us, myself included, thought they would only be purchasing the railroad division and not the entire Pan Am Systems kit and caboodle. But the filing says they're taking it all.
  by CN9634

How do we know though? The STB only cares about RRs, does it explicitly say “Pan Am Brands” as well? I guess I’m asking because I haven’t check and am too lazy to.
  by newpylong

It was very specific about Pan Am Systems all being rolled into that 747 holding company 1 and 2 in phases. So maybe this is the branding as well, maybe not? I would say yes considering Pan Am Southern will be still be the actual company behind the B&E. I doubt Timmy would let the big two keep using it if they had a stiffy to keep the brand? But I could be wrong.

As for the OCS, it's entirely possible this will be handled outside of anything any of us read. There's no need to mention individual trainsets with the STB.
  by BandA

Perhaps they can continue to use "panam" in the railroad industry. Perhaps since they plan to merge it into CSX and G&W anyway, that these names will continue through the merger but not much longer. Maybe they have to stop using the trademark after a year or two.

Maybe CSX is like heck with it, we'll give you a couple extra million for the airline brand + business train + all the odds & ends in the attic too!
  by newpylong

Not to steer too far but Im fairly sure PAS will not be merged and will continue to be the railroad/owner beneath B&E. Far simpler for a joint venture to keep it as is since PAS owns all the property now.
  by markhb

There is an entire section of the filing devoted to the Pan Am Systems, trademarks, etc., but it's redacted. I still think "Pan American World Railways" would be a cool name.

I'd hate to see the business train go; it seems that it was one of the few pieces the railroad cared about maintaining in good order. I'm still glad I got the opportunity to walk through it in Freeport.
  by MEC407

Wouldn't it be a strange twist of fate if CSX rebranded itself as Pan Am Railways?

Much stranger things have happened...
  by b&m 1566

CSX rebranded? I was thinking about that a couple of days ago.
  by newpylong

MEC407 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:12 am Wouldn't it be a strange twist of fate if CSX rebranded itself as Pan Am Railways?

Much stranger things have happened...
Now I am going to have nightmares. The name is still as stupid for a railroad as it was in 2006 when it was first used.

CSX is gonna put it into the dustbin.
  by Red Wing

2 words for you Newpylong:

Heritage Units.

Fortunately for you when they do a heritage unit it goes strait to a museum.
  by CSRR573

johnpbarlow wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:57 pm While not as elegant / stylish as PAR’s OCS train, hopefully their throwback wreck trains get preserved.
I could see one of the big cranes going to say Downeast or Conway