• P2K E8 short circuits over turnout frog

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by epspsy

I have a Proto 2000 E8/9 set that intermittently in either direction causes momentary short circuits when passing over Atlas turnouts - can be left or right hand. These are the only locos
that have ever done this. Trucks have been disassembled, reconfigured, wheel gauge checked, but problem persists. The units are 4 years old.
Any ideas?
  by Cadet57

Are the trucks catching on the frogs? Thats where i've had a few problems before. Also, are the frogs dirty? I had some that had dirt in them that some loco's were fine with and others would short or spark.