• Original Construction Details - MEC

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by kbellis

Hello,

I've done a search on this forum, but was unable to find any information pertaining to original construction details, and in particular, I'm interested in learning about the original practices done in the surveying and laying out of the railroad and what procedures were typical in marking the PCs, PCCs and PTs. The railroad in question is the Calais Branch of the Maine Central in Hancock and Washington Counties.

As a Professional Land Surveyor I've had the distinct pleasure during the past 20 plus years of surveying along the Calais Branch and have routinely found steel-reinforced concrete monuments above grade or flush with grade between the ties. On the spur that ran to Hancock Point (Maine Shore Line Railroad), where the ties and rails were removed years ago, I've been amazed to find pristine tapered steel-reinforced concrete monuments a foot or more below the surface of the rail bed. Now with the scheduled demise of the rails and ties between Washington Junction and Ayers Junction, I'm concerned about the loss of monumentation and want to learn more about what typically was done at the onset of the original construction to possibly help in its preservation today. I've posted the some photos on Google Map showing the present conditions along the portions already demolished.

Thank you very much for anybody able to point of specific documents and references.

Kelly Bellis
  by kbellis

Okay, I admit my question is pretty arcane and since nobody here can answer the question pertaining to original surveying practices, does anybody here know a better place to seek these answers to such mysterious questions? Or am I in the wrong forum?

Thank you very much for any help.

Kelly
  by CarterB

Are you discussing the "survey monuments' or "bench marks"? You might want to clarify and repost under either subject such as "MEC benchmarks"
  by kbellis

A benchmark in the general vernacular would typically mean the quality of something, but in the surveyor's lexicon, relate to elevation generally tied to a specific vertical datum; e.g., NAVD, NGVD, etc.

I'm not at all familiar with railroad parlance and so your suggestion to repost has me uncertain as to what MEC benchmarks entail or if it's bad form here to cross post. Some discussion boards really frown on cross posting, which I understand. Could you please enlighten me a little on the forum MEC benchmarks?

Thanks!

Kelly
  by CarterB

I would think you might get more info if you posted in the "Boston & Maine/Maine Central" forum and started a new topic about "Monuments and bench marks on the MEC"
  by henry6

There were construction manuals and writings about what you're asking. Check with the American Society of Civil Engineers who landmark structures, etc. Also, historical records of old railroads,and professional engineering magazines. I have here someplace my wife's great grandfather's (Sidney Green Miller) and his brother's (Geeorge W. Miller) books he apparently used as contract engineer for the New York and Harlem from Dover Plaines to Chatham, NY and in Costa Rica. OK, Just found them: The Civil Engineer's Pocket Book by John C. Trautwine,1872; The Field Engineer, William Findlay Shunk, 2nd Edition revised and corrected 1883 (1st edition 1879); Byrne's Pocketbook For Rail-Road and Civil Engineers, Olivery Byrne, 1972. I am sure there were hundreds if not thousands more similarly published books on the subject of civle engineering and railroads.
  by kbellis

Thank you Henry for the reply.

Should I assume that the volumes in your possession fail to include such information being sought?
  by henry6

kbellis wrote:Thank you Henry for the reply.

Should I assume that the volumes in your possession fail to include such information being sought?
Not specific to your line but rather general construction tables and instruction. You probably want to get to the Main Central and Boston and Maine railroad archives and attendant historical societies...even local historical societies could be another starting point.