• Old vs rebuilt Putnam ROW - Graham detour

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Tom Curtin

My wife and I frequently bike the "North County Trailway" (read "ex- Putnam Division") --- most recently yesterday --- and on these outings I have not been able to determine where the north end of the 1931-rebuilt ROW via Graham rejoined the old ROW via Pocantico Hills. Someplace not far south of Briarcliff I know but I have not seen a trace of anything that suggests the spot. Was it wiped out by latter day road construction in the area?
  by Otto Vondrak

Tom, you need my book ( http://www.nywbry.com/forgotten/ ) ! It has a map of the old route around Tarrytown Reservoir. In fact, I'm fairly certain you can walk some of that route today. I'll dig out my book and try to give you better directions.
  by RussNelson

It's a place named "Buckhout Corner", just south of Long Hill Road East, crossing Beach Hill Road. You can see the railbed pretty clearly from the trail. Lat,lon for your GPS is 41.1327, -73.8183.

And I concur with what's his name. You should buy his book, um, Forgotten something or other.
  by Tom Curtin

Thanks for the responses gentlemen! And Otto: I do indeed have your book!!!

I was just looking at the spot on mapquest. I see that the trail runs between Beach Hill Rd (just on the west side of the trail) and Rts 9a/100 (just on the east side of the trail), and Long Hill Rd comes into Beach Hill Rd. from the west. That's the spot called Buckhout Corners. So from what you're saying it appears I should look right there. Probably no point in looking now --- not till late fall when the trees are bare!
  by RussNelson

The railbed was fairly obvious, even from the trail on the other side of the road. I wasn't really looking for it, but spotted it anyway. Then again, I knew of the relocation, so my mind was probably open to the idea.

Much further south, near the end of the North County Trail, on the west side (physically south) is an earlier relocation which straightened out a curve. It's at 41.072, -73.830, about 1.5km from the south end of the trail.