• old railcars on the B&M in Whitefield N.H.

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by RRFAN

There a old railcars behind the whitefeild jiffy mart and looks like the NH DOT went down to check them out and look like they want to move them. I was wondering if anyone know anything about this.
  by Mikejf

New Hampshire Central Railroad is leasing that portion of the line from NHDOT. The railroad stores cars there for a fee. They also refurbish cars in North Stratford, so these could also be waiting for shop time.

Mike
  by NHV 669

Mikejf wrote:New Hampshire Central Railroad is leasing that portion of the line from NHDOT. The railroad stores cars there for a fee. They also refurbish cars in North Stratford, so these could also be waiting for shop time.

Mike
nonsense...these cars have been parked OOS on that track since the mid-90's. I'm assuming someone is getting close to scrapping them soon
  by Dick H

These cars are probably left over from the NH & VT Railroad that went out of business in the late 90's.

There used to be a snow plow. some hopper cars and possibly a flat car parked over near the "yard
office" in Whitefield. I think the state took ownership of some or all of these cars, probably for
money owed the state. The plow and one or two hoppers went to the CSRR for MOW equipment.
  by NHV 669

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20080 ... whitefield
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... y=Silliker
there was a passenger car there back in the 90's... there's a picture somewhere of it being cut up
  by Mikejf

Based on his description, knowing where the Jiffy mart is, and seeing some cars store :-D d there before, I figured the cars were the ones in storage. Last I saw of the cars in the pictures, they were intown.
  by RRFAN

The is a MEC rail car there that had in pink letters NHV over MEC. The boxcars down there a Boston & Maine.
  by ferroequinarchaeologist

If you're referring to the collection of derelicts west of downtown (!) Whitefield that can be accessed by hiking down the tracks from the Mobil station about a half mile, as of last summer, most of those carry LVRC markings. Interestingly, there are a few rusty hulks of boxcars that have shiny new padlocks on the sliding doors.

PBM