• Old Rail reused

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Kurt

I was recently photographing Metro North equipment in Dover Plains, NY along the ex-NYC Harlem Division. I was in the area of the Pleasant Ridge Rd crossing when I noticed two pieces of old rail that had been cut, and possibly used at one point as a fence post. One section was marked "Pat 1890", the other piec had markings, but were too difficult to make out with the layers of paint and rust. Here is one photo of the rail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by charlie6017

I would be willing to bet that old rail, amongst other things, were used wherever possible for many uses. My guess is that it was a less expensive way to get 'er done! :-)

Charlie
  by Allen Hazen

And heavy steel lasts a long time! I was amused, in the late 1970s, to find I-beams marked "Carnegie Steel Company" supporting the stairway in a school in New York (I was going to a concert in the school auditorium). Carnegie Steel was one of the companies merged to form U.S.Steel, early in the 20th C.
  by RussNelson

I've seen at least a half-dozen bridges whose bottom layer is a bunch of rails laid side by side, with concrete poured on top of them.
  by mikeexplorer

I have also seen structures and culverts made with rail & concrete.

Mike