• OLD FICTION BOOKS

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

by henry6

I have a collection of railroad fiction books...American and European; dating back to before 1900 to today. Since this is a "media" forum I see some postings but no answers or real discussion. Is this because there really is no interest in the topic or because contemporary electronic and contemporary mass media eclipse other interests. I know...because I downloaded it once...there is a list of old railroad fiction somewhere on the internet; I have about 80% of those on the list plus almost 50% more not on the list. Of course, I must say, that my definition of railroad fiction is very broad. Although I have most the Chapman's "Ralph In The ...." series, I also have Agatha Christe's "Death on a Train", Edna Ferber's "Saratoga Trunk", Alger's "Erie Train Boy",and other books which allude to railroads or trains in title (which I will often dismiss after reading) and those which take place around a railroad theme (which I judge on a book by book basis); books which are for youth (but not below teen age material) to very contemporary adult material. So, I guess I have two questions: One, is there anyone else interested in this narrowly defined mass medium? And if so, two, should we ask the powers that be for a seperate forum in which to pursue our interests?
  by Aa3rt

henry6-We did have a brief discussion of railroad fiction-you can find the thread here:

http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7072

You're most welcome to revive that old thread or continue the discussion on railroad fiction here.
  by tallowpot

Henry6--

I have an extensive collection of RR fiction. Please reply and I can provide more information.

by UPRR engineer

I bugged the crap out of Carstens to give me permission to share what i had from those old railroad magazines i have, they never did get back to me.

by BR&P

University of Minnesota Press recently reprinted Bedwell's "The Boomer". I have not gotten a copy yet but I'm sure it meets Bedwell's usual top quality.