• Old Coaches at Boonton Depot Getting Scrapped?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Passaic River Rat

I drove by the old Boonton station today. Looks like the old coaches have been gutted and about to be scrapped. (I do not lament this). Does anyone know if this is the case?
  by NJTRailfan

There are plans in works to do something like that. Sadly amongst them is a vintage caboose and a coach that was once with the CNJ. I really don't care for the ex LIRR Cars but for the caboose and the CNJ Passenger car this is sadly yet another blow and one more piece of the CNJ gone.
  by Passaic River Rat

NJTRailfan wrote:There are plans in works to do something like that. Sadly amongst them is a vintage caboose and a coach that was once with the CNJ. I really don't care for the ex LIRR Cars but for the caboose and the CNJ Passenger car this is sadly yet another blow and one more piece of the CNJ gone.
Yeah, I thought that too. FWIW, there are three CNJ observation cars still in existence: One at the Whippany RR Museum, one at the restaurant on I-78, and the NJT-1 in the URHS collection. Plus, these cars have been sitting there for decades and never got the TLC they needed. Their time is up.
I really do think that getting rid of these cars will spruce up the station area.
  by Ken W2KB

Passaic River Rat wrote:
NJTRailfan wrote:There are plans in works to do something like that. Sadly amongst them is a vintage caboose and a coach that was once with the CNJ. I really don't care for the ex LIRR Cars but for the caboose and the CNJ Passenger car this is sadly yet another blow and one more piece of the CNJ gone.
Yeah, I thought that too. FWIW, there are three CNJ observation cars still in existence: One at the Whippany RR Museum, one at the restaurant on I-78, and the NJT-1 in the URHS collection. Plus, these cars have been sitting there for decades and never got the TLC they needed. Their time is up.
I really do think that getting rid of these cars will spruce up the station area.
The one at Whippany was converted to an open platform style a few years ago from a CNJ coach at Whippany as I recall. The third Blue Comet CNJ Observation is at Rio Grande, NJ, or was a couple years ago.
  by Mr. Ed

I haven't been by there in years but the last time I was, the cars were gutted then. So I doubt any more has happened since then. The last thread on this subject had the cars as being owned by the town and yes, they are to be scrapped. But when? Your guess is as good as mine.

Later!
Mr. Ed
  by Passaic River Rat

Mr. Ed wrote:I haven't been by there in years but the last time I was, the cars were gutted then. So I doubt any more has happened since then. The last thread on this subject had the cars as being owned by the town and yes, they are to be scrapped. But when? Your guess is as good as mine.

Later!
Mr. Ed
They were gutted a lot more than they were, and the trees growing under and around them were recently chopped and are laying on the station platform.

I know for a fact that an NJT employee mentioned these cars to the operation that scrapped the Comet I's (Sims Metal Management). Perhaps they followed up on the lead.
  by Passaic River Rat

Mr. Ed wrote:I haven't been by there in years but the last time I was, the cars were gutted then. So I doubt any more has happened since then. The last thread on this subject had the cars as being owned by the town and yes, they are to be scrapped. But when? Your guess is as good as mine.

Later!
Mr. Ed
They were gutted a lot more than they were, and the trees growing under and around them were recently chopped and are laying on the station platform. Plus, all the crap was cleared out.

I know for a fact that an NJT employee mentioned these cars to the operation that scrapped the Comet I's (Sims Metal Management). Perhaps they followed up on the lead.
  by glennk419

Ken W2KB wrote:
Passaic River Rat wrote:
The one at Whippany was converted to an open platform style a few years ago from a CNJ coach at Whippany as I recall. The third Blue Comet CNJ Observation is at Rio Grande, NJ, or was a couple years ago.
CNJ observation Tempel is currently stored in safer confines on the CMSL at Tuckahoe. It was moved about 1-1/2 years ago, along with all of the RDC's and oher equipment at Rio Grande and Wildwood Junction.
  by Jtgshu

Wow, great pics, that one pic really shows how far gone some of those cars are gone. Floors are kinda necessary.

Its a shame about the red car (im assuming that was the CNJ car?) as it didn't look in that bad a shape from the pic, but still im sure pretty far gone
  by Passaic River Rat

Jtgshu wrote:Wow, great pics,...
You are overly generous with your compliments. Sully takes great pictures. I take informative, under composed snapshots. Thank you anyway.
  by Sirsonic

Where is The Rising when you need him? I seem to remember a failed attempt at a short line railroad (if they ever were a railroad is a matter of debate) had a contract to remove the cars. At one point it was boasted that the failed railroad resembling business had until September 1, 2006 to remove the cars. It would seem they have managed to fail again.
  by Jtgshu

Passaic River Rat wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:Wow, great pics,...
You are overly generous with your compliments. Sully takes great pictures. I take informative, under composed snapshots. Thank you anyway.
Sometimes its not the quality of the pic, but the subject matter :)
  by cjvrr

Also note that caboose had a fire in it years ago and has sat open to the elements ever since. Maybe some parts could be salvaged from it, but it too was way beyond a reasonable restoration....
  by njt5140

Sirsonic wrote:Where is The Rising when you need him? I seem to remember a failed attempt at a short line railroad (if they ever were a railroad is a matter of debate) had a contract to remove the cars. At one point it was boasted that the failed railroad resembling business had until September 1, 2006 to remove the cars. It would seem they have managed to fail again.
Yeah I'm curious as to whatever happened to that, it was PROMISED to the town of Boonton that those cars would be removed by that date listed above! Sounds like another fly by night job from CNJ Rail or whatever that guy calls himself these days!