• Official Valley Railroad Thread (VRR) - 2009

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Otto Vondrak

This thread is for the discussion of news and events related to the activities and operation of the Valley Railroad Company and the Friends of the Valley Railroad.

http://www.essexsteamtrain.com/
  by sebago35

I guess I'll be the first to log in and try again. It seems that #3025 is outside in the weather. How do I contact the Friends group directly? I've logged on to a home sort of page, who by name is in charge of the restoration work?
  by Otto Vondrak

I found contact info for the FVRR and their volunteer activities:

http://www.essexsteamtrain.com/friends1.html

I don't have a name for you, but there is an email on that page.

-=otto-
  by Brendan

sebago35 wrote:How do I contact the Friends group directly? I've logged on to a home sort of page, who by name is in charge of the restoration work?
I'm the Membership director for the Friends, the best way to join, is to come to Essex on a Wednesday night for a work session. they start at 6 and go to 9 and the RR buys pizza for all after. they happen every wed. at the gray shop building south of the station at Essex, these days we will be mostly working on the 3025 steam engine. there is no cost and we provide all the training. Brendan
  by kitn1mcc

the valley digging out after the storm 12/21

steve clearing out the switches

rob digging out the crossings
  by superwarp1

With the growing Steam fleet. Shouldn't the Valley RR consider some other means of protecting the engines in the winter months. Other than the tarps I saw them use last year?
  by Otto Vondrak

superwarp1 wrote:With the growing Steam fleet. Shouldn't the Valley RR consider some other means of protecting the engines in the winter months. Other than the tarps I saw them use last year?
Got money for a steel shed? :-D
  by BSRR

superwarp1 wrote:With the growing Steam fleet. Shouldn't the Valley RR consider some other means of protecting the engines in the winter months. Other than the tarps I saw them use last year?
Whats wrong with tarps. They work great. It's the affordable structure that you can put away in the spring. :-D
  by superwarp1

Lets see, rain, snow, ice, moisture, steal, rust, added maintenance? If it's not a issue, ok but these beautiful engines need a garage. Not just the one getting a overhaul. They must have some money, they just purchased 3025, or was that all their money :-D
  by BiggAW

I agree about the enginehouse, but first of all, one would cost a LOT if it were done right, and secondly, where do you propose on putting the thing? Ideally, they would build a triple-track shop and shed where the current shop is, but that would put them out of business for a while, and it would cost too much. Maybe they could add side sheds to the shop, I don't know of any other place one could go.

I have been recruited to volunteer for a couple of nights. Is there work for someone who doesn't have any experience? I have done basic wood working and a little bit of light repairs to various things here and there, and I've used all the basic household tools, but I have never done metal.
  by Otto Vondrak

BiggAW wrote:I have been recruited to volunteer for a couple of nights. Is there work for someone who doesn't have any experience? I have done basic wood working and a little bit of light repairs to various things here and there, and I've used all the basic household tools, but I have never done metal.
The best thing about volunteering is that no prior experience is needed. If you show an interest in learning and can "pay your dues" and show up week after week and put in an effort to help out... they will teach you everything you want to know! ;-)
  by BiggAW

I'm a college student, so for the immediate future, I can only come for two weeks, but I'd like to help out in the summer- hopefully my schedule will allow it then.

Alex W.
  by NNR

On friday Jan 9th 2009 Simons Wrecking #2 arrived on the property and the trailer detachted and the ramp rails were set in place wile GE 80 tonner 900 was cabled to the back of it and a loader hooked to the front with a couple of good attempts and some man power with carmovers #2 slowly rolled down the ramp on to live rail for the first time probably in 60 years or so! Now she rests aside ex knox&kane engine under restoration #2 will be cosmetically restored for now with hope of one day returing it to steam!