• Official Valley Railroad Thread (VALE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by FLRailFan1

FVRR seems to be active. I hope Middletown will be a destination soon and who knows Hartford?

I doubt commuter rail would be a plan of the VRR, but it would be cool to have it. I wonder if the Eastern CT RR Museum would ever relaid rail on either the Airline or the Midland.
Brendan wrote:The Friends of the Valley RR got a lot accomplished in 2014. They installed 340 ties extending the line and upgrading track in Haddam. That is up from 181 ties in 2013 and that was up from 150 in 2012. Over 150 of those ties were to extend the main line at Class 2 standards. About 50 ties were to upgrade sections of class 1 to class 2 and about 140 were to continue maintenance on track farther north around the Haddam meadows state park. A quick explanation of track class standards; class 1 is good for 15PMH passenger service and class 2 is 30MPH and so on... up to Class 6 which is 100MPH and up. This Marked the largest push north in over 10 years. Next year there are plans for installing around 350 new ties at class 2 standards pushing about another 1/2 mile north! The pace of expansion is steadily increasing!
The FVRR also increased passenger usage of the line in Haddam with regular scheduled hirail passenger rides departing out of Haddam Meadows state park. The FVRR together with the VRR also installed a new crossing at the state park.
The FVRR also had a big part in the restoration of the newest coach on the fleet, the DeCosta, which has made its debut on the Vary popular Christmas trains, and is running great!
It is great to see so much happening. The RR doubled the shop facilities in Essex and bought a third diesel 80 ton engine, that has now run under it's own power. And the latest news is the new tubes for steam engines no. 40 and 97 have arrived!
Over the winter # 40 will be re-tubed, finishing it's 1472 rebuild work. with 3025 and 40 being good for another 13 and 15 years respectively and parts arriving for 97 arriving, its work will soon start. The Shop has Plans for lots of coach work as well. As we speak car number 600 the "open car" in now in the shop getting lots of steel work inside and out, and will be done in time for the summer season.
It's looking like 2015 is going to be an exiting year at the Valley, so come on by and check it out. Happy holidays
  by YamaOfParadise

FLRailFan1 wrote:FVRR seems to be active. I hope Middletown will be a destination soon and who knows Hartford?

I doubt commuter rail would be a plan of the VRR, but it would be cool to have it. I wonder if the Eastern CT RR Museum would ever relaid rail on either the Airline or the Midland.
There's a huge gap in difficulty of restoration work between the Valley Line and the Airline/Midland. First is the obvious, it's a lot harder and significantly more expensive to install track. The second is a matter of support, as the State has given some support to the VRR, since keeping the Valley Line preserved as a railway is a goal of CDOT; the Valley Line is the only direct way to get freight originating east of the Connecticut River to the Hartford area by rail. While the State still owns most of the Midland/Airline RoWs, they have little to gain from contributing to or even allowing the rebuilding of either. Geography also factors in heavily in a few ways; the Airline and Midland have to traverse much hillier geography, and as such, have many graded embankments and cuttings that haven't been maintained to the quality you need for a railbed. The width of the RoWs isn't conducive to a rails and trails initiative, either. There are also more water crossings on both the Airline and Midland, and numerous within a few miles of the museum - bridges that have to be repaired to make any use of the RoW beyond. Bridges are a huge obstacle for restoration, and the bridges north of Goodspeed on the Valley Line are likely the biggest obstacles to it being restored in full. Still, it's good that the Airline/Midland RoWs are for the most part in the hands of the State for forward planning, as it at least preserves the opportunity for reactivation for some far-off unforeseen reason... and both of those trails in the meantime are pretty nice.

But yeah, I'm still hoping that in the next few decades that the Valley Line in full will finally be operable. Hopefully the growth in freight service on P&W's Middletown Branch becomes a trend in the coming years, as commercial interest in the VRR's portion of the Valley Line - be it from on-line customers or for through service - could certainly help speed things up. I imagine a steamer going through the center of Middletown would certainly be quite a shock for passing motorists! I have no idea where a feasible spot to put a depot in Middletown would be, though. Even without picking up or dropping off passengers in Middletown, you'd have to have a spot to get the locomotive to the opposite side of the train for the pull back. Off of the East Berlin Industrial Track is probably the only place in Middletown itself you'd be able to build adjacent to the track in Middletown proper, asides from somewhere adjacent to River Road south of the city's center. I wonder how Pratt and Whitney would feel about tourists passing by, as well, considering it goes right through their restricted boundaries. In the near term, though... having the regular train's northern terminus extended to Goodspeed is something I hope to see.

I wish I'd have been able volunteer in any capacity in the last few months. I've been generally too busy since late October. Hoping to try volunteering for the track crew for the first time come March... the more hands, the more work can be done.
  by ebtmikado

WINTER ON THE VALLEY

In February, the Valley Railroad operates the Eagle Flyer trains on Presidents' Weekend, so that passengers can ride through the Connecticut Valley, in search of bald eagles, which inhabit the area in winter, as well as other raptors, and sometimes even seals in the river.
Due to the heavy snows, it was necessary to plow the line twice before the Eagle Flyer trips, on February 4, and February 11. The train consisted of 75-year old GE 80 Tonner 0901, and 115 year-old former Hoosac Tunnel & Wilmington home built snow plow.
Here's a photo of the plow train at Hadlyme station in Chester, CT on Feb. 11:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/33786891@N02/16351608818/

Enjoy,
Lee
  by Mr rt

The Valley RxR isn't going to Middletown for various reasons,
but the most important is it would put too much time on there three steam engines.
Plus the dinner trips via diesels don't need to go beyond Goodspeed.
They are in the business of making a profit, so going to Middletown doesn't make good business since.
This doesn't diminish my phrase for the Friends of the Valley who are keeping the ROW open,
for at least speeders for most of the way to Middletown.
  by Brendan

Don't be so quick to say the VRR is not going to Middletown. In fact they just announced that the new car they restored will be renamed from the DaCosta to the "Middletown" in an effort to show were they are heading. Also another new car, an observation car has been purchased and should arrive on the property some time this spring and I heard it is to be named the "Goodspeed" and be in revenue service by next Christmas season. The Christmas season is a big driving force for expansion of the railroad. There is just not enough room in Essex for the volume of passenger traffic they are looking at. Parking is a particular issue. There are a couple parking garages in Middleton near the tracks, and boy would the Middlesex chamber of commerce love to see the VRR steaming some of their trains out of Middletown.
For those of you who know the line, I hear 2016 will be the unearthing and rebuilding of the tracks though the marina. Then there is only one mile of track to up grade to Mill river bridge. The 3 miles north of that have been upgraded enough to already have active hirail passenger service on it. It is all starting to come together.
  by shadyjay

Nice. Perhaps its time to bring back the "Tie For A Tie" program. And just imagine how farther along things would be if the Deep River/Chester bridges didn't have their issues, 1996-1999! Still impressive and I wish the VRR and FVRR continued success. It's come a long way since I walked the tracks back in '94 north of GD. The weed-strewn Goodspeed Yard and the briars made the going slow from GD to HG.

Instead of naming an observation car "Goodspeed", may I suggest naming it "E.E. Dickenson"? Coach 1000 can be renamed "Goodspeed" (the townfolk of Putnam will revolt over that I'm sure). Or #1002. That would make the 'ole Colonel turn over in his grave, for sure! Alright, fine, #1001, just so noone would be offended.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Mr rt wrote:The Valley RxR isn't going to Middletown for various reasons,
but the most important is it would put too much time on there three steam engines.
Plus the dinner trips via diesels don't need to go beyond Goodspeed.
They are in the business of making a profit, so going to Middletown doesn't make good business since.
This doesn't diminish my phrase for the Friends of the Valley who are keeping the ROW open,
for at least speeders for most of the way to Middletown.
Well...that's where future freight service comes into play. State Rail Plan ID'd installation of a rail siding at the CT Resources Recovery Authority Hartford trash-to-energy plant off the Brainerd Airport spur since CSOR has expressed interest in transporting out the waste ash that currently goes by truck. CRRA's recycling facility a few blocks away already has rail access and CSOR business. Essex town dump on Dump Rd. right next to the tracks is a CRRA affiliate landfill that trucks to the Hartford plant...so right there that's an instantaneous flip to rail transport if the Valley is reconnected and P&W--whose division post with CSOR is at the junction the Brainerd spur--gains access to the plant for dropoffs. Other potential sites as well. Haddam transfer station is right next to the tracks. CDOT's also got unused land at the back of Haddam maintenance yard on Route 154. Old Saybrook's is a little bit of a reach...about 1300 ft. away from the tracks along Bokum Rd.; but DPW lot next to the Park & Ride/CT Transit 921 bus stop might be better for that. Naugy's also got the Torrington CRRA affiliate station on its tracks; that's one of the freight customers they want to develop. Plymouth transfer still has a disused siding to the PAS Highland. New Haven dump is literally at Cedar Hill Yard. Really all depends on where CDEEP wants to focus its attention, since getting more long-haul garbage trucks off the roads and onto rail has been ID'd as a statewide priority. They aren't using the rail capacity they have for this purpose much of anywhere despite having so many easy tie-ins.

I would think some advancement of this initiative is going to have to be a requirement for the Valley to get funded for a restoration to Middletown, because if Valley RR is going to be tasked with maintaining those extra route miles they have to get some modest additional revenue sources lined up.
  by CVRA7

Freight service on the Valley has been seriously studied several times over the years and it was mentioned at the startup of the current operator of the line back in 1971. Jim Goodwin, VRR superintendent at the time, predicted the trash-by-rail concept, many years before it became a common cargo, and the location at Essex that F-Line mentioned was considered at that time and I believe the Haddam site was mentioned also.
It is important that the VRR "shows the flag" on the north end to thwart the NIMBYs, who have been whining about the revival of the railroad since the 1970s.
  by bwparker1

Another study on the VALE line, restoring service to Middletown, etc.

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut ... f-92871281" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MIDDLETOWN — The restoration of the Valley Railroad from Haddam to Middletown for freight service and tourism would provide an economic boost to the lower Connecticut River Valley, a new study says.

The economic feasibility study, done on behalf of the Lower Connecticut River Valley Council of Governments, looked at the potential of the old Valley Road, a railroad that once ran from Hartford to Old Saybrook. It was presented to the public during an informational meeting at Russell Library Tuesday night....
  by Noel Weaver

I think running the VRR steam trains out of both Essex and Middletown would be a big plus not only for the Middletown area but for the railroad itself. You can't draw too many customers in this business because expenses have to be continuously on the rise, coal, water, maintenance and the all important insurance alone. Middletown is in a different area and should be an excellent location to run out of. I for one would love to see this happen sometime down the road.
Noel Weaver
  by bwparker1

Noel Weaver wrote:I think running the VRR steam trains out of both Essex and Middletown would be a big plus not only for the Middletown area but for the railroad itself. You can't draw too many customers in this business because expenses have to be continuously on the rise, coal, water, maintenance and the all important insurance alone. Middletown is in a different area and should be an excellent location to run out of. I for one would love to see this happen sometime down the road.
Noel Weaver
I agree Noel, Middletown would really be a great addition to the railroad, a vibrant downtown and main street area, and the CT River is right there as well.
  by Brendan

The FVRR and the Valley RR track crews together have rebuilt near to half a mile of track this season. In addition to that, the whole line from Essex to Chester and sections in Haddam are getting lined and surfaced this week and next. The Valley has installed thousands of ties over the last several years leading up to this resurfacing project. So fare 7, 4 car trains of stone have been dumped on the line, and more to come. The newly surfaced track is now class 3 track and the new track getting built up through Haddam is being built to class 2 standards. That's 50 MPH and 30 MPH respectively. Historic equipment is still limited to 20 MPH but the track is smooth and there will be far less wear and tare on the the equipment in the future. All the track work has been fully funded by the Valley RR alone. It has been fun seeing the stone trains moving though Haddam. This fall ( Sep. and Oct.) well see the return of Hirail trips in Haddam too.
  by bwparker1

Brendan wrote:The FVRR and the Valley RR track crews together have rebuilt near to half a mile of track this season. In addition to that, the whole line from Essex to Chester and sections in Haddam are getting lined and surfaced this week and next. The Valley has installed thousands of ties over the last several years leading up to this resurfacing project. So fare 7, 4 car trains of stone have been dumped on the line, and more to come. The newly surfaced track is now class 3 track and the new track getting built up through Haddam is being built to class 2 standards. That's 50 MPH and 30 MPH respectively. Historic equipment is still limited to 20 MPH but the track is smooth and there will be far less wear and tare on the the equipment in the future. All the track work has been fully funded by the Valley RR alone. It has been fun seeing the stone trains moving though Haddam. This fall ( Sep. and Oct.) well see the return of Hirail trips in Haddam too.
Please post information on the HiRail trips here when it becomes available. Thank you.