• Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by H.F.Malone

Stay tuned..... :wink:
  by BOMX1200

Sorry Jay, didn't mean to accuse you. I was just trying to be careful in my wording to point out that they guys talking about the BSRM's Budd were going down the wrong path, that NH 41 was indeed at least in transit to somewhere.
  by Plainvilletrainbuff

Drove over plainville freight yard yesterday and saw New Haven 41 sitting in the yard.
  by H.F.Malone

NH 41 is in Thomaston this morning. More info to follow.
  by daylight4449

H.F.Malone wrote:NH 41 is in Thomaston this morning. More info to follow.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Mr. Gagliardi loaned/leased 41 to RMNE...
  by CannaScrews

It's probably going to be part of the CT Department of Environmental Protection Atlantic Salmon fish stocking train. They just announced that 150 Atlantic salmon will be placed in the Naugatuck River shortly.

Since the fish have to be gently transported to the river, placing 2 fish in each seat will be more than comfortable enough and they won't be crowded in some tank on a pickup truck. That way, each fish can be placed in a unique section of the river since the tracks parallel the Naugatuck River from Torrington down to Derby.

I'm certain that there is a former Zone 1 engineer who laid major pipe to have this project come to fruition.
  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

The salmon were successfully placed in three locations today.....Reynold's, Jericho, and Chase bridges. She's a fine machine and a great fit for the job. :wink:
  by CannaScrews

Blue Cards 'R Us
  by boatsmate

I was watching some videos of the Spencer Train meet. I am interested in how the 2019 was received down there. there was a lot of talk about the pre trip and getting her ready, but going back through the pages I have found nothing about the trip. I was wondering if anything is going to be written about it or is it coming in a future Blog? I would love to hear the stories.

Thanks

Bill
  by Otto Vondrak

boatsmate wrote:I was watching some videos of the Spencer Train meet. I am interested in how the 2019 was received down there. there was a lot of talk about the pre trip and getting her ready, but going back through the pages I have found nothing about the trip. I was wondering if anything is going to be written about it or is it coming in a future Blog? I would love to hear the stories.

Thanks

Bill
The "trip" I assume was hauling the locomotive dead-in-tow in a freight train, with no riders on board. That's just my guess...

-otto-
  by CannaScrews

Assuming that you mean how the 2019 was received at Spencer - rumor has it (I only heard 1st & ½ hand) that it was well received and appreciated. Not quite as much buzz as the PA, but whadda ya want, it's a PA & not a Chevy.

:wink:
  by H.F.Malone

2019 was delivered to PAS at Waterbury on May 9 and arrived at Spencer on May 24, having moved Plainville-Berlin-Deerfield-Mohawk-Harrisburg in regular freight trains. From Harrisburg, it was handled with two or three other "Streamliners" as an NS Special move direct to Spencer, via Hagerstown-Front-Royal-Manassas-Spencer.

The return trip started as an NS Special move and left Spencer (with other units) on June 3, retracing that route and being a special move to Mohawk, then regular freight to Waterbury. 2019 arrived back in Waterbury on June 13.

Loco was set up for dead-in-tow air brakes, and was shut down, not running.
  by boatsmate

Ok thanks. I knew it was dead in tow, but I was wondering how the 3rd rail shoes worked also. as was mentioned in an earlier report that they where going to be used. Glad it was well received.

thanks again

Bill
  by Zog

The third rail beams and shoes were not mounted on the 2019 due to not knowing what clearance issues might arise during the unit's trip down to Spencer. These items were taken down by road in one of our members vehicle and applied to the unit in the Spencer Roundhouse prior to the event. The Hancock air whistle and other " jewelry" were also shipped and applied the same way as they were highly valuable and scarce items. Prior to the 2019's return these items were removed and returned to Thomaston the same way.
  by NaugyRR

Hey guys, this is my first post on this board so please be gentle if this is a totally ignorant question, haha.

About a week or so ago I was on my way to visit my father in Wolcott and as I passed the yard across from DMV (I get off 8 from the Watertown Exit, makes life much easier), I noticed #42 either being loaded on to or taken off a flat trailer or flat car, I couldn't really see too well. Is/did 42 leaving/leave the property?

Thanks!
Jesse