• Official Maine Eastern Thread

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

by mwhite

There is also an ex-NJT Comet car. I suppose you might include the two baggage cars too.
  by Sandy Burton

The two baggage cars are not used in passenger service and the Comet car is rarely used. The crew told me a couple of days ago when I road the train that they used it just once last year.

Sandy
  by kilroy

Sandy Burton wrote:The two baggage cars are not used in passenger service and the Comet car is rarely used. The crew told me a couple of days ago when I road the train that they used it just once last year.

Sandy
And their passengers thank them for that.
  by gokeefe

I think there is still plenty of hope especially now that the layover facility is going to get built, which will result in additional frequencies to/from Brunswick. My interpretation is that we are seeing a period of adjustment in which the two operations get used to being around each other.
  by therudycometh

gokeefe wrote:I think there is still plenty of hope especially now that the layover facility is going to get built, which will result in additional frequencies to/from Brunswick. My interpretation is that we are seeing a period of adjustment in which the two operations get used to being around each other.
This pretty much explains the situation. We are trying a totally new schedule this season and adjusting to Amtrak's presence. This operating season will provide us with the facts and figures to improve our own service and and find the best way to incorporate Amtrak's service into our operations.
  by gokeefe

therudycometh wrote:
gokeefe wrote:I think there is still plenty of hope especially now that the layover facility is going to get built, which will result in additional frequencies to/from Brunswick. My interpretation is that we are seeing a period of adjustment in which the two operations get used to being around each other.
This pretty much explains the situation. We are trying a totally new schedule this season and adjusting to Amtrak's presence. This operating season will provide us with the facts and figures to improve our own service and and find the best way to incorporate Amtrak's service into our operations.
Rudy,

Thanks to you and the company for posting here and being willing to engage in dialogue. Any further detail you can provide on the operating conditions is of interest to the membership here. Many of us are advocates for rail passenger service in Maine in a variety of different roles. I have been personally impressed with your operations and have ridden the line on a couple of different occasions.
  by MEC407

I completely agree with what gokeefe wrote, and I would also add that M&E's new web sites look great... nice job!
  by therudycometh

Thank you very much for the compliments on the websites. They have received a very positive response from all that have viewed them, and both myself and management have been very pleased with the commentary about them. The Maine Eastern is slated to receive a new website in the very near future - I am in the process of finishing its construction right now. The MERR freight operations have already received a new site at http://www.maine.merail.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, although I will likely migrate that over to some derivative of the http://www.maineeasternrailroad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; site once I have completed the new passenger site there.

I have essentially taken over all marketing/advertising and public relations for both the MERR and the M&E. The MERR end of things is a new position for me, having been handed to me temporarily upon Gordon Page's departure a few weeks ago and given to me permanently this week. While I'm still adapting a bit, I will be very happy to answer any and all inquiries regarding either railroad.

As far as operations go, the Pine, Magnolia, and Alexander Hamilton are all slated to return to New Jersey in late July or early August in time for the M&E's 110th Anniversary Lehigh Limited on August 24th. The Alexander Hamilton will be remaining in New Jersey to be available for charters, while the Pine and Magnolia will be returning to Maine before September 4th, when we have a large tour group booked that requires the capacity of the extra cars.

Therefore, the regular operations this season from September 4th through October 12th will include the Pine, Magnolia, Ash, Elm, and the Penobscot Bay as our food service/lounge car. Trips scheduled between the end of July and September 4th will only have the Ash, Elm, and Penobscot Bay. The consist for the sporadic trips currently scheduled in June and July will be determined by trip.

If there's any other information I can provide, feel free to pose the question on this board or email me directly at [email protected].
  by MEC407

http://maine.merail.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; looks great!

I wish that Maine Eastern's connection to the rest of the U.S. rail network would avail itself of your web design services. :wink:
  by therudycometh

MEC407 wrote:http://maine.merail.com/ looks great!

I wish that Maine Eastern's connection to the rest of the U.S. rail network would avail itself of your web design services. :wink:
I'd certainly be willing to help them out.
  by gokeefe

Rudy,

Can you provide any more specifics regarding the operating rules around Amtrak at Brunswick Station?

We have all heard different versions and would like to know the real story. Most of what we have heard indicated there was some kind of new rule about soon you could occupy the platform before or after an Amtrak train. We are all kind of assuming for the moment that this change is a major part of the reason for Maine Eastern's recent adjustments to their service.
  by gokeefe

Coverage in the Maine media of the recent changes:

An article from The Free Press:
Rumors that the Maine Eastern Railroad passenger excursion service between Brunswick and Rockland was closing for good were put to rest last week by the owners, at least for now.

In November of 2003, Morristown & Erie Railway established freight operations in Maine along their lines from Brunswick to Rockland and Augusta.

In 2004, they added Maine Eastern Railroad passenger service from Brunswick to Rockland in vintage luxury rail cars during the summer.

Steve Friedland, a spokesperson for Morristown & Erie Railway, the New Jersey-based railroad that owns Maine Eastern Railroad, said there has been no decision made on whether to close the passenger service in the future. The railroad has no plans to schedule passenger service to coordinate with the Amtrak Downeaster train service to Brunswick, he said.
  by therudycometh

Our trains cannot be in the Brunswick station platform 45 minutes before or after the Downeaster's scheduled arrival and departure times.
  by gokeefe

therudycometh wrote:Our trains cannot be in the Brunswick station platform 45 minutes before or after the Downeaster's scheduled arrival and departure times.
Well there it is.

Many thanks to you Rudy for being here.