• NYOW derailment in Clinton - 1955

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by henry6

....could've been non government radio parts. Emerson Radio was manufacturing radios and televisions in Utica well into the '70s. The EL hauled them down after the O&W went out. BUt, are you sure the wreck was in Clinton and not Hamilton? I recall newspaper accounts as well as reports in Helmer's book and others. Again, check UTICA DISPATCH newspaper archives on line or through the Hamilton, Utica, Chenango County or Onieda County historical societies and libraries. Find them with a google searach.

by uticajack

Henry6
Emerson & RCA were / are trademarks owned by GE. Hence the Emerson name on the Radios. I was unaware of TV's being made in Utica. As far as I know, the TV's were made at a plant in Syracuse.

The point I was making is that people of this time would not have known the difference between radio tubes and computer tubes. This shipment of 'radios' bound for GAFB may very well have been a shipment of computers from IBM in the Endicot area. Don't forget that the mainframes of that time would have taken up quite a bit of space and may not have been shipable by truck. Radio's and their components could have been shipped by truck from Utica to Rome.

John Taibi has written some fabulous Northern Division O&W books, but I fail to recall anything mentioned about this wreck. Let me go back and try to find some mention of this wreck in his books.