• NYC Putnam Division Mohansic Branch - Yorktown Heights

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by fredmcain

Fascinating! absolutely fascinating! This map, which I assume to be accurate, shows indeed that the rails never went north of current day U.S. 202. That was a fact that I was never quite sure about. But what really got my curiosity fired up, the map indicates the branch as splitting in two with one spur going over Crum Pond and another that heading back towards the southeast before coming to a dead end.

So, what we have hear is a very interesting and highly obscure piece of railroad that much of the world today is unaware had ever even existed. It all started for me with a break-up with my girlfriend of four years way back in 1985. I left her behind in Hartford, Conn., after trying to tell her I lost faith in our relationship. I was driving back to Rockland, County, NY along U.S. 202, quite depressed and wondering if I'd done the right thing. I saw this state park and was in the right mood to take a walk in the woods. Perhaps that'd lift my spirits a bit! So, I went for this fateful walk. That's when I found it! A most obscure piece of railroad right of way. What in the world was it and where did it go?

Thanks, guys, for your help in helping me solve this little mystery. If Otto ever comes out with a new edition of his book on the Put, I hope he includes some of this information.

Regards,
Fred M. Cain