• NYC Photo Ban

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

by CRail

I figured this may get more attention here.
RailBus63 wrote: I'm sure most MBTA fans have heard about the proposed New York City ban on photography on the subway/elevated system. You may think this doesn't affect railfans in Boston, but you would be wrong. If the NYCTA is successful in banning amateur photography on their system, it will have an effect elsewhere in the future. The MBTA has no love of railfan photographers, and if the NYCTA is successful the T could decide tomorrow to stop issuing photo permits and post notices in the stations and cars outlawing photography, with the threat of fines and/or arrest for those who are caught doing so. The proposed NYC photo ban will set a terrible precedent and must be stopped.

Not to be overly dramatic or anything, but this is the time for anyone who cares about railroad and transit photography to stand up and be counted.

A reminder to everyone reading this - if you haven't submitted a comment, you can do so online at http://mta.info/nyct/rules/proposed.htm . The comment period ends Monday, so please don't delay.

Even if you have no intention of ever taking a picture on the NYC subway, Il hope you'll take a few moments to stand up for our rights as photographers.

Jim D.

by Robert Paniagua

Now that ban is supposed to be decided later this week....

Hopefully they'll vote against it and let us all continue photographing and videoing.

by CRail

2 words:
ya right
That would bring the world to an end with what, all the terrorists being caught. (<- sarcasm)

by Don31

They want to ban photography in the name of "security", yet they can't keep a homeless guy from setting a fire in a relay room and disabling the A and C lines. What's wrong with this picture??????

by CRail

Don31 wrote:They want to ban photography in the name of "security", yet they can't keep a homeless guy from setting a fire in a relay room and disabling the A and C lines. What's wrong with this picture??????
Nothing, there is no picture, it cant be taken. :-)

Homeless people arent terrorists, so they arent priority.

by Don31

CRail wrote:
Don31 wrote:They want to ban photography in the name of "security", yet they can't keep a homeless guy from setting a fire in a relay room and disabling the A and C lines. What's wrong with this picture??????
Nothing, there is no picture, it cant be taken. :-)

Homeless people arent terrorists, so they arent priority.
Photographers aren't terrorists either!!! :(

by CRail

oh but they could be!!! LETS BE SCARED!

by Don31

CRail wrote:oh but they could be!!! LETS BE SCARED!
While we're at it, lets be PARANOID too!

by CRail

Oh yes that too, and we can get rid of trash cans, and luggage, and how about any electrical devices. Watches should be banned too, they could be detenators.

I know where ill be safe, under a rock next to a police station, wait, they have guns!

by Don31

We also must ban shoelaces....a terrorist can garrot someone with them! And lets not forget kitchen utensels! Those knives and forks are sharp!!! WAIT!!! Cars!!! We must ban the automobile, with all those suicide bombers out and about!!!

Sorry CRail, you can't hide under the rock by the police station. Haven't you heard? Rocks have been banned. God forbid someone throws one!!!

:)

by SwissRail

Hello from New Zealand.
Can someone please advise me if the NYC photo ban was implemented?
Reason I ask is that I will be visiting the US East Coast and hope to take photographs of the NYC, MBTA and hopefully the Acela at speed on the NEC.
Thankyou.

by Don31

No, it wasn't implemented.
Thank goodness cooler heads prevailed at the MTA.

by Ken W2KB

A couple of weeks ago, Jeanne and I went on an all day 'excursion' from Gladstone, NJ to the Staten Island Ferry, and round trip on the Staten Island Railroad, a/k/a SIRT part of the NYC subway system.

No one paid any attention to the camera at any point, including the NJT and NY police.
  by EdM

well, my son-in-law, NYPD 34th pct, seys that they still hassle photogs taking pictures of the GW Bridge.. Tho I heard somewhere that Comm Kelly had said that they cannot hassle all the tourists... NYC sucks anyway... I got asked to leave LI Mac A airport (public property) and the same at JFK...(camera)... ride metro north with your camera that is supposed to be OK.

by RailBus63

SwissRail wrote:Hello from New Zealand.
Can someone please advise me if the NYC photo ban was implemented?
Reason I ask is that I will be visiting the US East Coast and hope to take photographs of the NYC, MBTA and hopefully the Acela at speed on the NEC.
Thankyou.
To take photographs on MBTA property, you must apply for a photo permit. Send an e-mail to [email protected] and they will send you the necessary forms. Fill these out and send them back ASAP. The MBTA Police conducts a background check on all applicants which may include a telephone call from an officer (I'm not sure how they do this for overseas applicants). Once this is completed and you are cleared, the Marketing folks will let you know when you can pick up your pass at MBTA headquarters at Park Plaza in Boston. You will need to have two forms of ID which they will photocopy for their files. Expect the entire process to take three to four weeks.

Once you have the permit, you will not have any problems taking photographs in public areas on the MBTA system. You can expect multiple encounters with MBTA operators and supervisors challenging you (they usually don't even ask about the permit, but instead start right in with the typical 'You can't take pictures here!' rant), but the photo pass works wonders. Once I've shown it, I never have a problem taking pictures, and it's priceless to see how quickly some of those obnoxious types clam up when they see it!

Good luck and have fun in the Boston area.

Jim D.