• NYC (IHB) SW-7 Switcher Assignments

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by DET760

Hello Everyone,

This is really a two-part question. First of all, I recall the NYC undergoing a "motive power" shortage in the early to mid-1950's. I've seen video of locomotives from the Montour and Chicago Great Western swtiching cars at Collinwood (in Cleveland, Ohio) during that time period.

I recently purchased a Broadway Limited Imports IHB Ph. I SW-7 done in the original paint acheme. Would it be safe to assume that at some point, Indiana Harbour Belt engines may have found their way back to Cleveland during the 1953 era to fill the company's motive power needs? My main layout goal is to "represent" Cleveland, Ohio during the previously mentioned time period as accurately as possible.

My second question pertains to a second Broadway Limited Imports NYC Ph. II SW-7 I purchased. I was amazed to see the unit (number 8880) painted in the typical NYC standard black with what appears to be the correct lettering and number placement, however that unit came with white handrails and no safety stripes on the pilots. Did the NYC ever receive locomotives painted in this fashion?

Once Again, thank you in advance for your help.

by NYC_Dave

There is a picture of 8887 on George Elwood's Fallen Flags website that does not appear to have the diagonal pilot stripes. http://gelwood.railfan.net/nyc/nyc8887s.jpg
  by DET760

NYC Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your response. I looked at the Fallen Flags Web Site you made ref. to and was suprised to see the photo of engine nbr. 8887 taken as late as 1958. I seem to remember reading or being told that early on, the NYC received locomotives without yellow safety paint on the handrails but would have thought that the pilot safety stripes would have been applied. Regarding NYC paint schemes, I guess it proves the theory that there were exceptions to everything.....

Thanks Again.