• NYC&HRRR 4-4-0 locomotive info?

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by tman4449

I am doing some history research on the first railroad in Manatee/Sarasota County in Florida, the Arcadia, Gulf Coast and Lakeland Railroad. It was established in late 1880's and met it's demise in 1895. The only tracks laid were between Bradenton and Sarasota, with rolling stock leased from a company in Schenetady. A photo of the locomotive (known as Old Pete, named for AGC&LRR President Anthony Peters) indicates faded letters on the fenders of the tender as having been operated by the NYC&HRRR as #78 sometime prior. Chroniclers of area history recorded that the locomotive wore the AGC&LRR number 5, and the builder's plate identified it as a Baldwin built in 1862. They also allow that the number 5 is painted on the sand dome, and "Old Pete" is painted under the cab windows. Enhancing the photo under the cab windows indicates there was a name there (possible containing "...ASU...", but certainly does not appear to be Old Pete. Can anyone provide me with additional information as to the history of this locomotive on the NYC&HRRR and it's movements?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by BaltOhio

I don't know if this is of much help, since some of the details don't match. But....

Hudson River R. R. #78, "John M. Toucey", built "NY 31st St." (which I assume was the HRRR's own shop), 12/64, 16x22 cylinders, 70" drivers. Became NYC&HR #78 in 1869 merger; re#122 in 1890, but may not have actually borne that number, since it was sold 7/90 to the NY Equipment Co., a dealer.
  by tman4449

Actually, that is very helpful. The records I found indicate the AGC&LRR leased the locomotive and six 31' flat cars from New York Equipment Company in 1891-2. As I said, a local chronicler indicated it was a Baldwin, but the lease contract stated the locomotive was a "passenger style standard gauge locomotive built by Schenectady Locomotive Works". I would assume that the NYEC would have it correct, since their money or reclamation of the equipment was at stake. You may be correct about the address of the NYC&HRRR shops, but they may have rebuilt it following the 1862 SLW build date.

I appreciate the help and hope someone may come up with another photo or more info. Thanks.
  by BaltOhio

Schenectady would make the most sense since the HRRR, NY Central (1st), NYC&HR, and NYC (2nd) were all almost entirely Schenectady customers. The info came from William D. edson's book on NYC steam power. Edson, now unfortunately deceased knew his stuff (ex-NYC chief mechanical engineer and Amtrak CMO, among other things) and worked from original records. The "NY 31st St" is what he shows for #78 and several other Hudson River RR engines of that time but, as you suggest, that may be a rebuilding or modification date.
  by BaltOhio

Hmm....you may be staying up too late, Otto. The HR RR did have a "Saratoga", #26, but according to Edson it was built (by Schenectady) 6/52 and scrapped 8/89. The (1st) New York Central had stopped naming its engines by the 1860s, and its roster shows no earlier "Saratoga" anyway. So the quest goes on.
  by tman4449

Thanks for the help, guys. I too, have been trying to figure out the name on the cab side board. "Sarasota" is somewhat convincing, but not definitive. No one in the local history that I've uncovered mentioned that name or any other than "Old Pete" and that name is definitely not evident. I suspect that retracing the history of NYC&HRRR #76 will reveal some information as to possible names. There were a lot of names issued to SLW locomotives that went into USMRR service, and SLW indicates 50+ 4-4-0's went there between 1862-1864. Verification may not be possible, but it is an interesting puzzle.
  by tman4449

Sorry about the attachment. Here is a larger format photo of the locomotive. A collegue of mine looked up information of NYC&HRRR #78 and believes it leads to the "John M. Toucey", a 4-4-0 with 60 inch drivers built at the New York 31st Street Shops in Dec. 1862. This locomotive was sold to the New York Equipment Company in 1890, which was the company that AGC&LRR leased Old Pete from. I wasn't able to affirm or refute this information from the photo alone. But, chroniclers at the time mentioned in the local newspaper that it was a "Rogers-type locomotive" built at the Schenectady Locomotive Works. Any clues on how to follow up?
T1002_OldPete in Profile.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.