• NYA Customers that haven't seen much action lately

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by mainline

Best Lumber left their facility in Speonk. OOB? 3-6 cars per week when they used Speonk Yard. Used to be switched with Eastport Feeds and Pulver Gas. 84 Lumber is still a customer in Islip. Haven't seen a car for Velvetop (Islip Team Track) in awhile. Served by RS80 at night.
  by LINYARailfan

Eastport Feed is gone according to NY&A Conductor Frank Knauf. I am not sure what ever happened to them or what ever became of them. The only NY&A customers east of Babylon are Velvetop Products and 84 Lumber in Islip and Pulver Gas in Bridgehampton. This all I know as of right now,things may change;Im not sure.
  by dedm30junk

Blame NYA for not bringing the cars to eastport.Donnie the owner of eastport feed said that NYA didnt want to come out with 1 or 2 cars because of fuel for the locomotives. The same for Pulver Gas they use to get 5 cars a week, then it went to every 2 weeks and now its been 7 weeks since the last delivery of 5 cars to Pulver.
  by Teutobergerwald

Rail customers are hard to get back after they are lost.....NYA should really consider it's hard-ass approach with it's east of Islip customers. They were hard-assed with their east of Greenlawn customers a few years back. Too bad.
  by tahawus84

As much as it stinks nya is a for-profit company and if it costs them to make the delivery it does not make sense. I do not think there are many business that will offer a service at a loss long term just to be nice.
  by Teutobergerwald

True, true.....but if those customers east of Greenlawn on the Port Jefferson Branch, east of Riverhead on the Main Line & east of Islip on the Montauk Branch say they can be switched more than once or twice a month, I hope NYA finds it doable....
  by dedm30junk

Pulver gas in Bridgehampton was getting 5 cars once a week then every 2 weeks now like I said in the earlier post its been over 7 weeks since the last deliverly.It seems they dont like going that far east and getting back to Fresh Pond between 4 and 5 pm.
  by Teutobergerwald

I had to take Sunrise Highway to get to the Meadowbrook Pkwy. the other day, and I could've sworn the covered hopper spotted on that spur in Freeport just west of the Meadowbrook was gone. Am I correct? Did NYA pull it out of there? Thanks.
  by rb

Not sure if they came from Pulver, but there were 3 LPG cars on the CSX run to Oak Point Saturday (59 cars total).
  by mainline

rb wrote:Not sure if they came from Pulver, but there were 3 LPG cars on the CSX run to Oak Point Saturday (59 cars total).
They are probably for Paraco in Riverhead.
  by Sir Ray

Teutobergerwald wrote:I had to take Sunrise Highway to get to the Meadowbrook Pkwy. the other day, and I could've sworn the covered hopper spotted on that spur in Freeport just west of the Meadowbrook was gone. Am I correct? Did NYA pull it out of there? Thanks.
I am going to have to second this - I was going from the Meadowbrook onto Sunrise, and the covered hopper was not visible (usually you could see about a third of the hopper visible from right after where the WB off-ramp merges into Sunrise. Having a few minutes to spare, I then made a few turns and ended up on the Street than runs in front of Quality Lienals (Bennington Ave.) This street sort of dead-ends in a 'T', the North of the 'T' being the 'open-air hiring hall' (not gonna go into that). Even from this area I could not see the covered hopper anymore. The north end of the T is blocked to vehicle traffic, but otherwise seems open to pedestrian access (there are two goal net in that area - for a minute I wondered "Hockey?!?" until I realized "Oh, soccer/futbol"). Anyway, not wanting to talk with the Freeport Police, I did not walk into that area to get closer to the tracks, so while I can confirm the freight car was moved, I cannot say if it was shoved further into the siding (from Bing, it looks like this is possible) or if it has been taken away for scrapping.
I must admit I found it odd that there were quite a number of truck bodies on jacks at the end of Bennington - both Van bodies and flatbeds. Some were parked (placed) in front of Quality Lineals too - is this a form of (non-railroad) intermodal they do (maybe a better terms is modular storage and transport, like PODS)?