• Number boards and horn on PA-2 #4212

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by bill8106

The posts about Alco horns reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask for a while.

PA-2 4212, along with PB-2 4304, were GE's special "More Power to America" units acquired by NYC in 1951. 4212 had small number boards ala the PA-1s, and had five note horn (not sure if that's the right term to use, it had five horns clustered together), different from just about all of the NYC's diesel fleet. I have only found pictures of this unit in GE paint and can't find any pictures of it in NYC garb.

Does anyone know if this unit kept the small number boards and the horns after it was acquired by NYC, and if it kept the horn, what kind was it? Also, if anyone can point me to a picture of 4212 in NYC paint it would be much appreciated, and point out any other external differences, if there were any, between this PA-2 and the other six on the roster.
  by NYC1956

Those horns look like Nathan M-5 – unlike anything the New York Central had on any of its locomotives. You can be sure they were immediately replaced by the “standard” Wabco E-2. No reason to change the small number boards with integral classification lights for the large, angled number boards and separate classification lights. The NYC had PAs with both types.

There is at least one picture of PA-2 #4212 in lightning stripes. It is on page 108 of New York Central System, Gone But Not Forgotten, by H. F. Cavanaugh N.J. International, Inc., 1983.
The photo taken in 1960 at Boston’s South Station shows the locomotive still with small number boards and classification lights. It has a pair of the NYC standard Wabco E-2 horns, same as all the other Alco PAs. [Mike K]